Task Manager doesnt open

Status
Not open for further replies.

washburnmav

Solid State Member
I have windows 2000 professional and lately have been having some problems. My computers freezes sometimes at startup, but the main issue is that rite now my task manage wont open. When I ctrl-alt-delete it and click on the task manager button, nothing happens. I looked at past forums posts about this and they said to go to regedit but now when i do that i get an error message thats says:
C:\WINNT\system32\regedit.com
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NET. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

Can anyone help?

Ive run spybot and ad-aware multiple times but it hasnt helped...

Yesh i had the problem that the task manager would popup for like 2 sec then close. so id say format.

Nope I have a better idea, if it only flashes up for a second. Make sure you have 'show hidden files' on, and also 'show system files'. Then go into:

c:\windows\system32\
Find the taskman.exe file or the taskmgr.exe, depends on the exact program your looking for. If there is a taskman.com, right above it. Then delete the taskman.com file. Sometimes spyware will attahment a .com file, and because the operating system executes files such as taskman in alpabetical order, the .com runs first. eg. .(C)om.......(E)xe. This spyware makes this com with no information in inside, you it will never get to the exe unless this file is deleted. So give it a go, and tell me. If there isn't a .com file there, then I'm not too sure.

I dont have a c:\windows folder so i cant do any of that and remember it still wont let me run regedit

ok sry ignore my last post, i got to system 32 and found the taskmgr.exe file but there is no taskman.com file... there is however a tasklist.com and a taskkill.com file...should i delete one of those?

Windows2000 uses WINNT folder.
Try start>run>taskmgr
I dunno if it works in 2k, and even if it works I don't think it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom