taking over someone else's computer

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I'm taking over my Dad's old computer. There's a few snags I'd like to figure out.

Firstly, it seems to be functioning much slower than I would've expected it to. It was bought from BestBuy in Jan 2018. I've had this computer since summer 2018 and haven't really used it, so essentially this computer is only 6 months old, and I doubt my Dad used it heavily either. So it shouldn't be slow because of heavy use. The specs are -
Aspire 3, AMD Dual-Core A9-9420 with Turbo CORE Technology up to 3.6 GHz
AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
6 GB DDR4 Memory
1 TD HDD
Running Win 10

Are these specs any good?

Secondly, I'd like to figure out how to make this computer 'mine'. I went to Settings \ Accounts and see my Dad mentioned under 'Your Info'. I went to 'Email & app accounts' and put my name in there. But I don't know what point that serves. Went to 'Family & other people' and put my name there under other people, and set myself up as administrator. I would've expected that would create a new user account, like on windows 7. But when I go to shutdown it doesnt show me an option to switch accounts. What is going on?!

Also, would it make sense to just reset the computer entirely? There's no data here that needs to be protected. If so, how easy/difficult a process is it? Would I need any info from BestBuy? I believe Windows came pre-installed with this and I don't believe there's a Windows CD that came with.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom