...System32\Config\System File Missing - XP Wont Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knowledge

Baseband Member
I am running Windows XP SP1 on a AMD 2600, Gigabyte 7avxp Mobo, 1 gig ddr 3200 ram, C: = Two 120gb WD Harddrives on Raid0.

Everything was going fine, untill one day I try to boot my machine and it tells me "C:\Windows\System32\Config\System File Is Missing Or Corrupt. You Can Attempt To Repair This File By Pressing "r" At The Begining Of The Windows SetUp" or something like that....

So, I searched around and found my solution. All I need to do is copy the system file from C:\Windows\System32\Repair >to> C:\Windows\System32\Config\ and all will be fixed.

HOWEVER, the Recovery Console never asks me for an adminastrator password, and thus never grants me access to the folders I need to get into for some reason. I tried to do "set AllowAllPaths = True" and it tells me that its not supported, only by the security configuration. Which, as far as I know is done by changing a setting on the desktop, which I cant get to!

I also read that if I use a Windows 2000 setup disk that its recovery console bypass's the whole admin password deal. And when I tried it, it didnt work right with the file system for some reason and still wouldnt get me into C:\Windows.....

So, I tried finding a boot disk for XP on a NTFS partition, and all I get is set up disk's that do give me a dos prompt with the ability to copy one file to another location, which is all I need to do anyways....

And, I cant slave the C: drive to another harddrive and copy the file using that method because the C: drive in question is on a raid0, and thus can not be slaved to another harddrive!

------

So, what I'm asking here is how do I copy one file, in a dos prompt, that supports NTFS, from one location to another, with out using the recovery console.

Im really trying here, and I cant wrap my head around this stupid thing that has happend... If any one can help me, I sure would greatly apreciate it.... Many Many Thanks In Advance!!! :D

I was under the impression that that is what the recovery console was all about... Is there another way to "repair" a Windows Installation?

Yes. Start the Windows install. I know it funny but listen. From there it will ask about the EULA. Hit F8. It should detect the Windows already installed and ask if you want to repair it with hitting R. Do that.

Oh okay, sounds great!

Just out of curiosity... If it does work, what exactly will it overwrite? Will it screw up all of the programs and such?

Thank you so much guys for the information, Im going to try it right now and post back with results... Hopefully this is all that I needed to do! :)

All this does is first remove the Windows components and then reinstall them. It doesnt affect you Registry. You will have to do your Windows Updates afterward but that is it. All apps will still work.

Thanks for the replies...

Well, I just tried it. And apparently since my C: is two 120's on a Raid0, the Windows Setup doesnt see them. Instead, it showed me the other harddrive that is in there which is a 200gb Seagate.

This makes me think that all of the steps I have tried before may have worked, but because the C: is on a Raid, I need the SCSI drivers.... Which, I dont know how to get/use in DOS.

Well you can try the Knippox Live CD to do what you need. But what you need is to get your RAID drivers on a floppy and use the F6 to install 3rd party drivers for the setup to recognize your setup.

Right. But, from Gigabytes site you download the drivers as a .exe and that would install the drivers on this machine (MSI 645eMAX Mobo) which would screw up my install on this box....

So, I need to figure out how to get the right .dll files and .ini or whatever onto the floppy.....

I think there is something on a goole search that could help with that. I dont remember personally but i know that the info is out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom