System Upgrade/Format Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryTyrrell290

Solid State Member
I have this home built computer that I really want to upgrade to Windows XP. Currently the machine has Windows 2000 and Linux on it. I want to get rid of linux and format the hard drive. I want to wipe the whole thing before I put XP on, but I have a few problems/questions.

1. If I wipe everything and put the XP disc in will it run the disc automatically when I turn it on and let me instal XP?
2. When I do get XP installing I was told that it will ask me about partitions, could someone tell me what those are and what they are used for. I think I have to get rid of the old ones and make new ones, but why would I need more than one if I am going to have just one OS on it?
3. If anyone has any input I am desperate, or if you just have some useful tips that would help me I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Use this: http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPPro/installxppro1.htm

1)Depends on the BIOS settings. You BIOS must be configured to boot from the CD-ROM first. The Primary boot device has to be the CD-ROM drive.
2)Partitions are parts on your harrdrives. They are displayed as driveletters in MyComputer (c:, d: etc)
You do not have to delete the old ones, except for the Linux ones because you cannot use the for XP.
I would delete all partitions though, and create 2 partitions. One for XP and programs and 1 for important data like MP3's. You can do this using that guide.
3)Post on TF if you have any other questions.

I looked at that guide you linked to. It seemed very informational but it said that I would need the disk from my previous version of windows so that it could verify something. What should I do if I do not have access to it?

Edit: I am also a little confused on how I get to this first step of the faq. I know I have to go into the BIOS and set it so that boot from cd is the primary boot setting, but do I have to delete everything before I begin the new installation or will I be able to do that when I delete the partition with the system files and such?

It will be a full install disc, (I havn't bought it yet =p)

I am also a little confused on how I get to this first step of the faq. I know I have to go into the BIOS and set it so that boot from cd is the primary boot setting, but do I have to delete everything before I begin the new installation or will I be able to do that when I delete the partition with the system files and such?

Edit: What benefits would I gain from creating a seperate partition to dedicate to mp3s?

When loading the blue setup menus from your disk. Go in recovery console (R)

then type: DISKPART

then delete all partitions.

Then reboot (or type exit) and boot from the disk again. Then create a partition as shown in the guide. Choose a size. What's your HD's size BTW?

You can create additional partition using the left over unallocated space later (in windows)

You can also use the entire disk if you want to.

When using a seperate partition for MP3's etc, you can format (erase) your XP partition without affecting your files on the other partition, so it would be easy to re-install XP in case of trouble.

I am still a little hazy on when I would do the delete partition part of the setup. As far as I know, I go into the BIOS and set boot from cd to the primary boot setting. Then I put in the XP instal disc and restart the computer. (This is where I get confused, please tell me if Im wrong.) It will take me to the blue screen, then I follow the instruction until it allows me to add or delete partitions. I want to delete them, then I want to reboot from the cd and create the new partitions and install the new OS.

Yes,
But you will have to choose to enter recovery console after booting the disc for the first time. Delete partitions there. You can also get a win98 bootfloppy from www.bootdisk.com , extract it to a floppy and boot from that. Then type: FDISK and delete the partitions there. Both should work.

After deleting the partitions booth from the disc again, do not enter recovery console this time, and use the instructions on the screen to create a partition to install XP.

No need to mess with the "DISKPART" program. Its extremely easy to delete your partitions straight from Windows XP setup. Just follow the onscreen instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom