System sounds gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
Help!

For some unknown reason, and I really mean unknown, I have got no system sounds. Even if I apply the default sound scheme, I get nothing.

Well, actually, I lie. I have a few sounds; the 'Welcome' sound, and the MSN sounds. Other than that - nothing!

Occassionaly, when Windows XP wants to communicate, it will try to play a sound, upon finding them gone, it plays that random sound that your computer makes when you mash the keyboard too many times when it is starting up, you know, that 'doot' sound.

Anywho, how can I go about getting my beloved sounds back?!

Either my problem is really simple, or really hard, to fix. Or nobody likes me. Either way, noone seems to want to help!

-Well start with making sure all your connections are plugged in/secure.
-What were you doing before this ocuured?
-Start, run, type "dxdiag" and click the sound tab and see whats up there.
-Go to device manager and see if any conflicts.
-Reinstall sound drivers.

Yay! Someone to help me!

I did the sound and music tests with dxdiag, they worked 100% correctly.

Also, there were no conflicts under the device manager.

Is there a way to check if the actual sound files themselves are gone?

sure is, all those sounds should b in ur windows/media folder in .wav files, not sure if theyre hidden or not so if nothins there make sure u unhide hidden and sys files and refresh/recheck and then rehide them when ur done. hide/unhide is under folder options in control panel.

Well, that's weird! All of the sounds are there. Now, I suppose the only way to get them to play again is to manually assign each sound back to each function under the sound scheme?

So what sounds in particular dont you hear? Music files? Movies? Games?

And are those sounds files still wave files or have they changed?

The only sounds I can't hear are the system sounds (i.e. the sounds that you hear when you minimise, maximise, receive an email, or shut down Windows, etc). All the sound files are still in .wav format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom