System Restore or Reformatting - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Rook1e
Default System Restore or Reformatting

I was not sure where to post this but everyone is always in the off topic thread so i thought i would ask.

Is doin a system restore ok? I know that refomatting is best but is restoring ok?

I would like to reformat it but I have never done a refomat b4. Is it as easy just putting my refomat disk in and let it do its thing? I know this might be a dumb question but i dont know Lol.

Thanks for your time.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

System restore is restoring your system back to an earlier point. I don't see any reason doing this unless you have a recent system restore point where your computer wasn't having issues.

Reformatting (reinstalling the operating system) is easy. First you must back up all files on another computer or CDs/DVDs because reformating will erase everything.

Then, stick in your operating system disc and boot the computer from that disc. Choose to install the operating system and install it over the current partition that it's on.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: EVGA 560 Ti
HDD: Cruicial M4 SSD 128 GB
HDD 2: WD VelociRaptor 300 GB
PSU: Corsair TX650w
Case: Corsair 600T Graphite Series
Old 04-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

OpticalIllusion,
Thanks for your input. Im a bit scared to do it..I just dont want to run into any problems i wont know how to fix. I do have another computer that i could use if i do but..im just a bit scared. Lol I payed someone the first time to do it.( $60) but i want to try it myself. Will i have a problem with any of my drivers not getting installed right? Whats the most common problem people have doing a reformat?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

My problem, I always forget to provide the driver for my S-ATA harddrive then I have to reboot and I forget again. You shouldn't be worry it's quite simple. Choose to delete the partition then choose to create a partition in the unused space then Windows will ask you to format then Windows will do the rest for you. Windows will try and install any driver it can, if not you can always install it later. Windows should and will install the basic driver for the core component for your computer like the HD,CD/DVD drive. Usually the Vid card will have a generic driver just for basic function, then you'll have to update it to take full advantages.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

You can refer to this site if you want step by step instruction, thanks to talldude for finding it http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_sg_clean.asp
Old 04-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for your help guys. Im goin to reformat this weekend when i have time.

Closed Thread