system restore question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasisbhrnw

Solid State Member
If I go back to a previous restore point, will I lose all of my programs that I have installed since then? Or does system restore only mess with the registry?

mhh, not in all cases will the program be installed. I've used it on many clients computers and half the time the programs stayed put. If any of the programs were removed, the profile settings, logs, etc will remain although you'll have to install the program again to use 'em.

*edit*
From windows:

-If a program was installed after the restore point that you are restoring to was created, the program might be uninstalled as part of the restoration process. Data files that are created with the program are not lost. However, in order to open the files again, you must reinstall the associated program.

-System Restore does not replace the process of uninstalling a program. To completely remove the files installed by a program, you must remove the program using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel or the program's own uninstall program. To open Add or Remove Programs, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.

I never use system restore, always disable it. Because if my comp gets screwed I prefer a format; I lost a lot of files due to system restore once.

I agree, you SHOULD know not to use restore or repair as things can just go hay-wire, but.. do what you will.

I used system repair once (pop in the xp cd and do the repair from bootup), just as a test, to see if it would work (as opposed to the other times I did it to see if it would mess up a system, etc..) and it did.. it fixed some corrupt file in windows and didn't copy over everything else, was bizzare that it worked.. but it did!

TheMajor said:
I never use system restore, always disable it. Because if my comp gets screwed I prefer a format; I lost a lot of files due to system restore once.

I turn it off for my last 3 partitions. but I leave it on for my C drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom