System Restore Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siena1383

Baseband Member
If I use System Restore to get back to an earlier state, is that only for the operating system (I have WinXP), or would that restore drivers (and DirectX) to their earlier states as well?

Specifically, my graphics card was fine until I installed and uninstalled a webcam driver. Now I get a "no 3D functionality" message when I try to load a game or watch a video on the web. I tried downloading the most current driver and the most current DirectX, but that didn't help. So all I can think is to restore the system back to its state of a few days ago. (I posted in the hardware forum, but I'm not getting answers I can use. If System Restore would work, that would do it for me.)

Also, how do you run System Restore to get back to an earlier point? When I go into Control Panel/System, there's only the check box to turn System Restore on & off, not to actually restore.

Thanks!

System Restore restores the WHOLE system back to that date. Any programs, updates or anything installed after that date would have to be reinstalled. You cant use System Restore from within the system. You have to use the XP CD to do it properly.

The one Mak is talking about is the major deal. The one DoubleHelix is talking about doesn't really change anything... it just hides it.

Huh? System Restore is a Windows function. It rolls back system changes. A full system recovery returns a computer to a factory state.

The System Restore located in the Accessory > System Tools doesn't uninstall anything, nor does it delete anything... at least within my own experience. Everything is still there and will show up with a search.

The reason i said to do it with the XP CD is not due to the fact it cant be done. It is merely for the fact that i have seen greater success with it done outside of a loaded Windows environment. Doing it within Windows can be done, as it will do the same thing. It is just that if you have programs running that are not part of the Restore Point, depending on when it was created, what was installed at the time and so on will have a great impact on the system when it tries to do the restore.

Given the information provided, we dont know what could be impacted and could actually adversly affect the system upon trying the restore. Doing it via the XP CD is almost a 100% sure bet that it will be restored properly and that any changes that need to be made can be done without issues.

I dont advise on the System Restore within Windows for this reason. Not given all information about every change made from the time the last Restore Point was made is a big factor. All we do know is that the OP installed drivers and DirectX. But that is not saying that they havent done other stuff. There is a method to my madness. I post suggestions like this for a specific reason. If they wish to do it from within Windows, that is their right. But it could be harmful more than helpful. With the suggestion i provided it can insure that the ill effects of the restore are minimal.

Okay, I didn't install anything else at all. I deleted a few desktop shortcuts and created a couple of Word, .txt and Paint files. No other changes in the last few days.

So... part of my question was HOW to run System Restore. Since I didn't know how to do this from the Windows CD, I ran it from within Accessories/System Tools. Both times, it starts to shut down Windows, then reboots and tells me it couldn't complete the System Restore and to pick another date.

WTF?????

I'm willing to try it from a Windows CD. The computer didn't come with OS CDs - I had to burn them myself, so here's hoping they'll even work. But HOW do I do this?

And any ideas as to why it failed when I tried to run it from within System Tools?

(By the way, I made sure my Norton Anti-Virus software was current and ran a virus scan. It came up with nothing.)

Did you read the link that Helix posted? It tells you right in there how to do what your asking.

Helix's link told me how to do it from within Windows, which is what I said I tried. That link doesn't say what to do using a CD.

The Restore can fail if the Restore Points are corrupted.

Okay, but what would corrupt the restore points? Is it possible I have some other problem besides a corrupted graphics card driver?

On my way to this link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom