System Restore has Killed my Computor....please help me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vellamint

Baseband Member
My Dell 8250 has had a couple of wierd problems in the past week. Audio would not play through Windows Media but would play with Jukebox. All of a sudden I could not acess my Yahoo mail account and the error message said that I was not accepting cookies and needed to enable them. I did not change anything that would cause this so after a few days of this I figured that some nasty website changed some settings and tried to do a system restore. Got up....came back a couple of hours later and my computer is dead. Here is what I have done so far.

Booted to every "mode" I possibly can.....safe mode brings me to the screen that has all the numbers and drivers on it and stops dead. I sometimes hear a faintish noise that sounds like a jet taking off.

Called Dell Support....for about 3 hours. The guy had me do things (skndsk /r etc) that took so long he told me he would call me back. (Twice). He was reading from a book. He also had me power off, disconnect everything except monitor, keyboard and mouse....power up. Power off, disconnect plug from wall and hold button in to release stored electricity. He had me do something on startup with the "F" buttons that supposedly restored something to factory settings. Four lights in back are one....no light is illuminated in the front. I have run Dells Diagnostics and it is not finding anything wrong. Nothing is helping. He says the next step is to reformat and actually gave me 2 phones numbers of businesses that might be able to save my "stuff". The first one I called said $1500 - are they kidding me?

I do not want to lose my stuff....I am not a business but a home user that (like all of us) has "stuff" they do not want to lose....small video clips, photographs, my "favorites" ( a ton of them), ebay's turbolister alone has so much time intensive information stored on it that the thought of losing it all is making me lose my mind.

The system is not even 2 years old and I purchased the extended warranty so I am good until 2/06. Can anyone think of anything that will help me. I would love to speak to an actual Dell TECHNICIAN....I honestly dont even care about the fact that my warranty will cover a new harddrive if this one is unfixable. I never in a million years thought that I needed to back-up all this stuff....like I said the system is not even 2 years old and I have never had a problem with it until this past week.

Help please.

Well I really don't know what I'd do at this point, except try using the xp disc and running system repair, I've had one occasion where I really didn't have the time to screw with a clients computer, so I tried using xp repair, and.. well let's just say it was a fluke, but it worked (odd enough)... So you can try that.. otherwise find a friend with a computer, hook up your hard drive to theirs and transfer your data.. Then you can do a clean install of windows and then transfer your data back.

I have 2 other newer computers in the house but I dont know how to "hook up" my hard drive to them.....tomorrow a friend is going to try just that........

no other suggestions then?

YEAH!!! I am back on the computer BUT

only have my hard drive is mine.....I must have created another partition or something.....27G are being used ....somewhere.....

I know all my information is in here somewhere.....can someone now help me find it!?

Oh, I could not do a system repair, I install (or thought I installed) right over the old system....it asked if I wanted to install over or create another partition but I chose install over....so what is going on.

Anyway......I want to back up pictures and videos but the programs....are here somewhere......can you tell me how to get to them.

Thanks.

Make a BartPE Disc from here!

Works wonders and I use them all of the time. They can help you recover lost files, recover files from non-booting system, etc ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom