System Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

David1678

Baseband Member
this is a short very nondescriptive post.

My System Restore doesn't work anymore. When I click "System Restore" it appears to try to load but then just sits there and never loads. Any ideas?

I can't even get it to load. I have many restore points but when I click "System Restore" out of control panel it just opens a white window box.

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Ok, Ive got to get my *** to bed so here is what has happened so far. He has a Dell, the drivers for his system are on the c: drive, the root of it, called drivers. I had him copy them to a cd because he was trying to format but couldnt because the xp cd couldnt see his hard drives because it doesnt have the drivers for it installed. So I had him put the storage drivers on a floppy, reboot, instal the xp cd, hit F6, then when prompted, insert the floppy for the ultra ata storage so the install can see his drives. If this doesnt work, he will need to slip them into his xp cd using nLite. I know Eric knows how to do it, I do to but I'm going to bed. If the floppy way doesnt work, he will need to use Nlite. Unless someone knows of another way. Anyways, if this doesnt get taken care of, I will reply on how to do it when I get up. its 4:17 am here. Ok. that didnt work, I gave him instructions and the guide on how to do this so he should be good to go.

do you add any new hardward? in my experience system restore won't work when you have a hardware change

it was actually 2 am where I lived too so I gave up for the night, im going to try the nlite thing today :)

you said get net framework 1.1 to make Nlite work, but it is demanding net framework v2, is there any reason why I wouldnt get framework v2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom