System resouces problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

koltregaskes

Solid State Member
I have seveal program installed and running on my Windows XP Pro system. The main problem I find is that MCShield (a McAfee VirusScan process) takes up a lot of resources after a while being log on.

I've also re-installed Groove (after completely formatting my C: drive and installing my system again - boy it is much faster from the start) and this seems to eat even more resources.

I've stopped Groove from starting up with Windows and that's helping. But MCSheild has always caused me problems. Things seem to be fine but the system gradually gets worse and worse.

Is it MCShield that is the souce of the problem or something related to it?

Re:

Hello,

This is a tricky issue, because there could be loads of things which case slowdowns. However, virus scanners, especially ones with resident shiels or active protection tend to use alot of resources. I know that Norton Antivirus uses quite a bunch, but I can hardly notice it on my machine.

Is running programs slooowwww...? I tend to de-activate my virus scanner when playing games etc, to stop my PC from going choppy.

you could try AVG, it's free and uses low system resources
it works really well for me and my computer has been logged on for almost 2 weeks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom