system repair *win xp*

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
my dad's laptop won't open explorer.exe, not in safe mode, not through the Task Manager, not through Run. almost nothing else will open *tried MBAM, and a couple other things to no avail*. So I'm at the point where I think the only way to fix his problem is with a system repair. anyone know where I can get ahold of one?

do I specifically need an xp disk or can I use my 7 disk? also, do you think that Norton Utility disk will repair this problem? and no I wasn't asking for the xp disk, I was more correctly looking for the solution or if anyone knew a different bootable way to fix it

Yes you specifically need an XP disc to perform a repair install on an XP install.

The disc must also be the same version (Home, Pro, Media Center) and service pack that is installed on the HDD.

oh that's just wrong... ok thanks carnagex and Mak213

ok, sorry about the doublepost, but I wanted this to show as a recent post. I have everything for Norton Utility Disk, how do I compile it into a bootable disk? I have the ISO's and all that, do I just burn all that to the disk as is?

A Norton Disk will NOT fix your problem. It is a problem with Windows in which you need the Windows XP CD to fix. Norton is for Norton related issues and can do some basic stuff with Windows like use Restore Points. It can not do a repair install of Windows. It is useless for you so there is no need to try and compile a disk.

It isnt "just wrong" that it is done this way. Why would it be any other way. I wouldnt expect my Win7 disk to work to fix my XP problem just like i wouldnt expect my XP CD to fix my Win7 problem. They are completely different products. You wouldnt use a cassette tape to try and fix an issue with your Blu-Ray player would you?

XP is a decade old and doesnt share anything in common with Win7. The setups are completely different. It has been this way since the start of Windows back in 1984. It is the same way with Linux. I cant use a PC-BSD DVD to fix my Ubuntu install. Different product.

the Norton Utility Disk I am referencing is not a product designed for norton products, it has only two functions: Norton WinDoctor and Norton DiskDoctor. I guess I may be only one of a handful of people to have used the product, but it is an amazingly powerful tool. I suppose since I seem to be the only user of this product, I'll use it and give you an outcome.
Secondly, that comment I made "that's just wrong!" was meant to be in exasperation, not meant to be taken literally. i.e. sarcasm

my dad's laptop won't open explorer.exe, not in safe mode, not through the Task Manager, not through Run. almost nothing else will open *tried MBAM, and a couple other things to no avail*. So I'm at the point where I think the only way to fix his problem is with a system repair. anyone know where I can get ahold of one?

I am guessing from the fact that he says it wont run in safe mode, that isnt an option. If he could have i would have suggested it earlier. Which is why i said an XP CD is needed. ;) :thumbsup:

the Norton Utility Disk I am referencing is not a product designed for norton products, it has only two functions: Norton WinDoctor and Norton DiskDoctor. I guess I may be only one of a handful of people to have used the product, but it is an amazingly powerful tool. I suppose since I seem to be the only user of this product, I'll use it and give you an outcome.
Secondly, that comment I made "that's just wrong!" was meant to be in exasperation, not meant to be taken literally. i.e. sarcasm

Again it is not something that you can use to repair Windows. You have to repair Windows. No product out there in the world other than an XP CD is going to help you. I know of WinDoctor and DiskDoctor. They will not do what you need. Your system is so messed up that i highly doubt a BartPE disk would even be of help for you, and that is saying a lot.

You have to completely reinstall ALL of your Windows files. No utility from Norton can do this.

ok, bought an xp disk new... I'm sorry mak for not understanding, you were correct, and I should have known better to argue with the likes of you. now, I have this issue. boot into the windows disk, no problem, get into the repair portion, no problem. select the drive (the good ole' C: *option number one* and then it asks for the administrative password. I've tried the basics (admin, administrator, password, etc etc) and also my dad's password. none grant me access. any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom