System reboots on own. Possible problem located but not sure how to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1979

Beta member
I think it might be best to start with a little background information on this. Last Friday I called my cable provider to have my service switched to my new apartment at the end of the month. Apparently they thought it would be better to cancel my service without telling me.

When I got home from work I logged in to my computer and couldn't pull up a webpage. That's when the reboots first started. Now whenever my cable modem is plugged in to my computer it keeps rebooting itself. This only happens when the modem is plugged in. When I unplug my modem my computer will stay on without rebooting for hours, possibly days but I haven't tried that yet.

Supposedly my service was reactivated on Saturday, I'm really just wondering if all I need to do is an ip config release/renew or if there might be more to this problem.

It will not hurt to try. In the mean time, shut off automatic restart by right clicking my computer>>properties>>advanced>>Startup and Recovery>> uncheck auto restart. When it blue screens, post the error.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll post back later tonight when I get home (at work right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom