System Rating - Windows Experience Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
I was poking around bit and saw this feature. Gives my laptop a rating of 3.0 on average, mid-range. I was also wondering how many of you actually checked this and if so, what was your PC rating?

Also how reliable is this information? Lastly, is there any piece of software that can help you determine your PC's rating by hardware configuration (just might come in handy if you would like to compare PCs on a fast/on-the-go basis).

For those of you who don't know what exactly I'm speaking about:
2m6a2dd.jpg

PS: I wasn't totally sure which forum this should be posted under since it's a little bit of hardware/software query, if it's in the wrong forum please relocate it, thank you.

This feature is totally useless and is only there for people to stroke their e-peen and e-ego. I remember back when it first came out you could hack it and give yourself any score you wanted. I think it can still be done today.

The number holds no meaning and no bearing. Vista held a 5.9 max rating and now Win7 holds a max 7.9 rating. So the same system, could have 2 totally different scores within the WEI. It is nothing but a number assigned by Microsoft to get topics like this going on who has the highest score and who cares. It holds no real bearing in anything tech related and holds no bearing on if a system is "good" or not.

This feature is totally useless and is only there for people to stroke their e-peen and e-ego. I remember back when it first came out you could hack it and give yourself any score you wanted. I think it can still be done today.

The number holds no meaning and no bearing. Vista held a 5.9 max rating and now Win7 holds a max 7.9 rating. So the same system, could have 2 totally different scores within the WEI. It is nothing but a number assigned by Microsoft to get topics like this going on who has the highest score and who cares. It holds no real bearing in anything tech related and holds no bearing on if a system is "good" or not.
Oh ok, well I shouldn't feel bad then since my low score means nothing :D! Is there any piece of software on the net though that can help you getting a average PC rating based on hardware?

Oh ok, well I shouldn't feel bad then since my low score means nothing :D! Is there any piece of software on the net though that can help you getting a average PC rating based on hardware?

There are a few... 3dmark/3dvantage from futuremark will test your system, main in the gpu area.

things like SuperPI will test the speed of the processer.

Take a look through the OCing and mod forum, for various "tests" and member results.

Yeah 3DMark and the SuperPi test are about the best for that. But the thing is your only getting an average of systems that have run the program and those that have reported it in such areas like this.

There is no way to come up with an accurate measure for something like this. Cause simply put, everything matters. What i mean by that is every bit of software you install, every driver, every theme, every gadget, every single aspect of your PC will have an effect on the result. So unless you just did a brand spanking new install of Windows and run these tests, there is no way to know for sure if/what and how the results were affected by what you have installed/running.

So the average of nothing is going to be nothing. Cause there is no accurate way to measure this. I mean how do we test it on lets use my system for example. I get a result of 12345 on 3DMark. Now who has the same exact setup as I do along with the same installed programs, the same ones running at startup, the same ones running at the time of the test, the same system temps, the same amount of RAM used, the same amount of CPU used and so on. Kinda see where this is heading?

Cant accurately measure something that is impossible to measure in the first place. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom