System Properties showing wrong amount of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

festis88

Solid State Member
My system properties is showing that I only have 120MB of RAM instead of the 128 I actually have. As far as I know, it isn't even possible to have 120. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm trying to upgrade AIM and it won't let me unless I have 128MB of RAM.

Thanks

That's a pretty small amount of RAM...

... I'm willing to bet anything that old would have problems, lol.

Yeah I realize that smart ***. I'm ordering more ram for it, but I'd still like it to say the right amount. It's only used for Word, Firefox, AIM for my kid.

You might be better off with a third-party client.

Pidgin uses less memory than AIM, yet supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and plenty of others. Of course, if you don't use those others, you can use it for just AIM as well.

More than likely it's because you have an onboard video chip that uses 8 megs of shared memory.

If that's the case, the only way to install AIM is to get more RAM. But you could try Pidgin, like they said.

Forrestcupp is right. You have onboard video that is using your 8MB that are missing.

Get more RAM, or use Pidgin or Trillian or Miranda.

Thank you to Makaveli and forestcupp. That answered my question. As for the rest of you who just want to throw in your two cents about how much memory I need, read my post. That's not the question I was asking.

You are welcome.

Sorry to say there is no way for you to install AIM. You will have to try a different client, or upgrade just a bit to get it installed. Pidgin isnt that bad to use. Trillian might be a bit much. Miranda isnt that bad either. Pidgin and Miranda are both small lightweight apps that shouldnt hurt your system too much.

As for the rest of you who just want to throw in your two cents about how much memory I need, read my post. That's not the question I was asking.

Uh yeah. That happens alot around here. And they won't read your post all the way and give you advice that is useless. Or they repeat what everyone else says so they get a higher post count. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom