"System" process using more then common amount of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestComputerGeek

Baseband Member
Hey guys

So I have two computers that have very similar specs and they are both running windows xp home edition. The one thing that I find unusual is that the one computers "system" process is using about 550kb of my memory BUT the other one is using about 80,000kb of my computers memory. I am wondering if this is normal and if there is anything I could do to reduce the amount of memory that the system process is using? I'm only complainig about this because my computer with the system process going crazy on it tends to run VERY slow. If anyone has any clue what is going on here I would greatly apriaciate it if you helped me! Thanks!

You need to identify what this "system" process is. There are at least 30-40 different "system" processes. Without knowing anything more than it is a system process you wont get any answers. As there is no way for us to give any information.

Try using some tools from SysInternals and going through the spyware guide is the only thing we can suggest.

Ok. I'll look around on my computer to see if I can find some more information but what I am telling you comes from the task manager and it is a process that is only labeld "system" so I'm am not sure how to tell exactaly what system process it is.

system.JPG

There is the pic!

Hmm guess there's a difference between "System" and "System.exe". The .exe would be the bad one, but that seems legit. Not sure why it takes up so much memory though, it's suppose to be an idle process :umm:.

Edit: Reading up on this, seems others had the same problem but their issue was caused by AVG. From the looks of the processes you also have AVG installed, try uninstalling and using another Anti-virus and see if it helps. Heard good reports on the Microsoft Security Essentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom