System probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinner421

Solid State Member
Hi Guys,

Can anyone suggest anything to help pls.

My system is running so slow - Ive ran hijack this - adaware system is clean - virus free - but something is suddenly dragging down performance - ive reinstalled all drivers - it seems to be display related but every test ive ran says all ok - no unknown processes running drive has been defragged - I have no idea where to look next any help appreciated.

Well, there could be a physical hardware problem, or you could be missing the obvious (like I did the other day). I had a similar problem, and took similar troubleshooting steps (including swapping the video card for another that was lying around) only to find that the background image my friend was using was 275 MB! Everything appeared okay, but the VC was having a problem rendering that image every time the desktop was refreshed.

My suggested actions
1) Check on the background image
2) Go to the processes tab in you Task Manager and sort by CPU
3) Watch to see if there are any specific processes hogging the CPU.
4) Then Sort by Mem Usage and watch for the same thing.
5) If nothing seems out of the ordinary, try running the computer in safe mode. (If you can't duplicate the problem there, then it is probably a software problem. However if you still have the problem there it could be a hardware problem)

I agree with anmonts suggestions.

Also, I recommend reinstalling Windows about once a year, or even more often. As you install more programs and as the OS ages, it's registry gets bloated.

There are also registry cleaners available. You could try www.download.com to look at some free ones. I recommend registry cleaners if you a leary of reinstalling Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom