System never has Free Memory

bagelred

In Runtime
I did a factory reset of my 2 year old Acer AM3400-U2502 Desktop, with Windows 7 Premium just a few days ago. Anyway, I've added just a few programs, uninstalled a few programs....nothing major.

But I've noticed I consistently get bogged down, the system fails to run memory effectively.

2lkcp46.png

This is a consistent occurrence. I'm barely running any programs or doing anything. Can someone help me analyze the problem?......I mean, if there is a problem? My system wasn't like that before the reset.....

I only run Avast Antivirus.....typically use Firefox I guess.......not much else going on.

Startup Programs:

photo hosting

Let me know whatever info. you need from me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There is no problem. Win 7 uses part of your memory for a pre-fetch cache which is indicated by the label "Available". If the system needs more RAM, it is released from the "Available" memory pool. Your "free" memory is actually the total of "Free" and "Available".

If your system is bogging down, it isn't due to lack of memory.

Firefox. Nuff said. I have had that program alone take up over 1GB of RAM with 2 tabs open. They say they got the "Memory Leak" fixed but I can still get Firefox to eat up RAM like it was candy.

Another thing you have to remember, Windows since Vista uses SuperFecth instead of PreFetch. This is where it will store the most commonly used programs within RAM so that they will load faster.

Strollin had the right idea, wrong name. ;)

You have 4GB of RAM and I will bet you anything that it is also shared with your video card. So you have less RAM than you think cause 512MB or more is being used by that. Not to mention you put to much priority into what you see.

s3j95w.jpg

I have well over 2GB free but it say 131? Not even close to what I truly have free. Even with using almost 4GB of my system RAM at all times.

Last edited:
Another thing you have to remember, Windows since Vista uses SuperFecth instead of PreFetch. This is where it will store the most commonly used programs within RAM so that they will load faster.

Strollin had the right idea, wrong name. ;) ...
When I was typing my reply I was going to use the SuperFetch term but decided to go with a more generic term of pre-fetch cache since I felt SuperFetch was less descriptive of what the RAM is being used for. :cool:

Well it is the correct term. PreFetch ended with XP. So while it may not be descriptive, it is the proper term as there is no such thing as PreFetch anymore. ;)

I'm well aware that XP's Pre-Fetcher was replaced in Vista and Win 7 with SuperFetch. While there is no such thing as Pre-Fetcher anymore, the major purpose of SuperFetch is to act as a pre-fetch cache. SuperFetch does have additional capabilities that go beyond that but I felt using the generic term would be best for the OP's understanding.

Last edited:
Unused memory is a waste of money. As others have said having your memory used isn't a horrible thing as Windows now caches what it anticipates you loading.

I'm well aware that XP's Pre-Fetcher was replaced in Vista and Win 7 with SuperFetch. While there is no such thing as Pre-Fetcher anymore, the major purpose of SuperFetch is to act as a pre-fetch cache. SuperFetch does have additional capabilities that go beyond that but I felt using the generic term would be best for the OP's understanding.

But in doing so you gave them the wrong term. So your feelings was to give them incorrect information, despite the fact you knew it was incorrect? It doesnt matter what the OP understanding is. If they dont know what the terms mean, we can explain them or they can research them. Giving them wrong terms is still wrong. SuperFetch does not equal PreFetch, even if SuperFetch doesnt do anything more. It is still not the same thing and shouldnt be described as such. In the end you used the wrong term.

I really hate to belabor it but you don't seem to understand my point. I didn't give an incorrect term, or misinformation. I avoided the use of a term and used a generic description because I felt it would be more understandable to the OP. There is a difference between using the correct term vs trying to be more understandable.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

It's a moot point anyway since it appears the OP never returned...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom