System Mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleVision

Beta member
Hi. I am new to this forum, but not new to computing. Just a little on the novice side when it comes to knowing some software. I need to clean up my machine a bit, runs a bit slow at times and thought since my uncle passed away and left behind some software I had heard about in his office, I would give it a try.
It appears as though I have System Mechanic version 5. I ran the junk file scan and it came up with 456 files in need of probable deletion. Here is the list of the ones I am not sure about deleting as they don't show up in the list of examples in the help section. I could use some sage advice in knowing what is safe to delete and what is not. Thanks.

* DAT
* AutoReg
* Security Catalog
* MTX
* EXD
* Application Extension
* BOOT (setup.boot)
* OCP
* RRA
* EXD
* windows metafile
* SYD
* FLG
* OLD

Most of these files were found in the scan to be in the "temp" folder on my system. Many of them have zero length. I run WIN XP Home edition. Hope someone can advise me. I don't want to delete integral pieces of information. I have a recent backup of my files, but don't want to have to use them if at all possible.
I appreciate any help you can offer. I get skiddish when it comes down to pushing the delete button!:p

Nothing important is usually kept in temp. Sometimes stuff gets left there by mistake, and never gets removed (on older OS's, at least).

.OLD and .SYD files are usually backup files.
.EXD are cache files
No idea what .RRA or .OCP are...
Don't delete anything that involves the word "boot".
.MTX has something to do with Adobe Atmosphere, can't remember.
.DAT can be just about anything...

If it's not in the temp, I wouldn't risk deleting those you have listed. Maybe you could google a few and find out for sure though.

By the way, most of those look like extensions, which doesn't make much sense. How would deleting an extension be much help of a slow computer? I've never used File Mechanic, so I'd have to see to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom