System Locking Up - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default System Locking Up

Hi, the last few weeks my system has been locking up on numerous occasions.

When i say locking up i mean the system just come to a stop my mouse cursor doesnt move and keyboard doesnt work nothing will work...

Im running windows XP i thought it was a sound problem that was causing this at first as it was only happening when i was going through folders in winamp and it makes that clicking sound but lately its been doing it whilst loading up mIRC and using console applications.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening i reinstalled Windows XP and all the latest updates including service pack 2 and its still the same.

System Specs:
Abit NF7 2 Mobo
AMD Athlon XPM 2500
512MB TwinMos Ram
120GB Maxtor HD
20GB Samsung HD
Geforce MX 440 Graphics Card

Thanks

Meads

Old 05-30-2005, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Do you regularly defragment your HD? If not you could see if thats whats causing the hang. If you havent got a third party defrag tool which is anyday a better option than your built in, you could still try using the Windows 'analyze' option and check your fragmentation levels.

Old 05-30-2005, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by ramjam
Do you regularly defragment your HD? If not you could see if thats whats causing the hang. If you havent got a third party defrag tool which is anyday a better option than your built in, you could still try using the Windows 'analyze' option and check your fragmentation levels.
You might want to clear your temp files and run disk cleanup before you do a defrag.
Closed Thread