System keeps locking up every after few minutes.. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default System keeps locking up every after few minutes..

Hi guys

what are the possible causes for a system the locks up out of nothing?

Reboot and using it is smooth... no problems.. untill it suddenly locks up with absolutely no reason (that i can think of)...

It locks up when doing something, it locks up when not doing anything at all also....

the only patern i see is that it locks up after just a few minutes from start up.. it stays steady a good 5 minutes .. then between 6-20 minutes (common is around 10 minutes only) it just decides to freeze.. being used or not..

i've ruled out viruses causing this.. i have checked everything myself, services, startups, etc etc..

I have disabled even the regular startup services that are NOT needed.. like hp printer monitor, and similar things... SAME EXACT SCENARIO..

I've ruled out bad ram as well... i did a ram check and it went on overnight without problems..

please guys. any ideas? or should i just go ahead and reinstall?

Old 10-17-2005, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

start, run, type msconfig..go to startup...disable all and reboot and see if it still hangs

Old 10-17-2005, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Memberbot

Let us know of your hardware setup. You should also use some hardware monitoring tool to check and see if overheating might be to blame.

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 10-18-2005, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
start, run, type msconfig..go to startup...disable all and reboot and see if it still hangs
um.. i've checked all LEGIT start up items.. but for the benefit of a doubt.. i disabled them all.. same problem.. didnt help..

Quote:
Let us know of your hardware setup. You should also use some hardware monitoring tool to check and see if overheating might be to blame.
i have an INtel P4 2.0Gz, 256MB ram, asRock motherboard, lan card, 2 CD roms. typical setup really.. just for office
Old 10-18-2005, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Take the cover off and see if the CPU is so cloged that its over heating.If not it sounds like a power supply is going out.Power supplys can DIE 2 ways hard all at once or easy a little at a time.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Take the cover off and see if the CPU is so cloged that its over heating.If not it sounds like a power supply is going out.Power supplys can DIE 2 ways hard all at once or easy a little at a time.
thanks for your reply.. nope.. CPU getting good ventilation... fan rotating ok.. no clogs.

how can powersupply cause FREEZES? Dont they cause SUDDEN REBOOTS?
Old 09-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to seanpaul76

Did we get a solution to this problem? Because now im having this problem.

My HP Slimline 92xx series pc running wXP freezes approximatley 5 minutes from startup, everytime... no matter whats going on, if anything. When i say freeze... the computer stops sending an image to the monitor and it goes black. the keyboard locks up with the Num Lock light on and the PC itself is still powered on. But im not getting anything.

Any suggestions

Closed Thread