system hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossy1881

Banned
When I am downloading something big or running and apps like convertxtodvd and trying to do something like downloading something small from a torrent client my systems hangs. This happens with different apps as well. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

cheers

If you're converting a movie for DVD burning using Convertx and trying to run other programs as well and you don't have a very high-spec system (no idea what your specs are), it's going to hang and lag your entire system.

XP pro sp3 P4, 3Ghz, 504 MB RAM. I assume it is a RAM probs. Am I correct? If so, how much more do I need to run so such things won't happen? Or do you think it is something else?

cheers

Yea your system is old, that's why it's hanging / laggy. You need ideally 2gb of ram an a dual core processor - most software for DVD conversion is optimized for 2+ gb of ram and a dual core processor.

Hello,

Dual Core is not essential. As i do my stuff on a single CPU as well. But i also have 3GB of RAM. You should get more RAM. That is why your system hands.

Cheers,
Mak

Mak213, would 2GB of RAm suffice? Saxon, my system is 2 years old so it is not that old.

Also, where is the best place to buy RAM cheap?

cheers

get CPUz an find out what type of ram you need an then we might be able to help more mossy.

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-4200,DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 2GB kit (1GBx2) per slot.*

Your system requires that you install memory in pairs.

To benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel systems, you should install memory in identical pairs.
Installing a kitted pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count.

Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules
that are already in your system.

That info is from crucial.com

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom