system hang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Okay so why are you telling us? You know what you need and how to go about getting it. Order what you think you need. I would read up on the topic in the Index about the difference between 32 Bit and 64 Bit as i bet you are running a 32 Bit OS.

Cheers,
Mak

Well, I asked the question of where is the cheapest place to get memory on the net and no one responded. That is why.

And yes, I am running 32bit. And I also asked if 2MB would be enough?

cheers

Hello,

RAM can be bought at several places. Some places have offers that are cheaper than others. You have to do the leg work to find the best price for what you want and need. We can not give you the answer to that.

2GB will be fine for what you want. Just realize that if you are converting and surfing the net while listening to music you will experience slow down and hangs. Your CPU is nto made to multi task that much.

Cheers,
Mak

As far as using convertxtodvd on a single-core processor, that is still going to slow down w/e else ur trying to do at the same time because its using 100% of the processor. I had the same thing on my single-core amd 3700+ with 1gig ram.

Should I assume memory won't help if I go with 2gb then? If that will help, could you guys please recommend some online ordering sites besides newegg. I would really appreciate some help with sites with cheap prices.

cheers

Oh no the memory will help but a dual core processor would be even better.

Crucial is a good place to go for memory as they are cheep an ship fast and worldwide, Where do you live so we can give you a better idea where to locate a decent shop with good prices.

If you're thinking that RAM will totally do away with the problem, then you'll be wrong. You'll need at least a dual-core or quad-core CPU to help with the system hangs.

Either that, or just convert/burn the videos overnight. Thats what I did when I had my HP comp with a single-core celeron.

Hello,

As i have stated above i can run Convertx along with listening to music and running F@H. My system does not hang and i only have a single core CPU. So saying that his system WILL hang with a sigle core CPU is not fully accurate. Cause it is not always the case. It jsut takes a bit longer for hte converstion. It takes me upwards of 40 minutes to convert a movie when i have my stuff running instead of hte 20 minutes or so it would run if i only ran Convertx.

The RAM will help. But remember you can not do EVERYTHING and not have slowdown. I have more than enough memory to compensate for my lack of CPU usage.

Getting a Dual Core CPU will be good and help out but using a Single Core will not make your system as useless as Saxon and Carnage make it sound like. You will still be able to use it while you are converting.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom