system freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lheggie

Baseband Member
My system (windows 98 se) is constantly freezing when i am using internet explorer 6.0. I have performed all of the windows updates. Ran a virus scan (updated to date) and ran spybot on the system (detected nothing). Yet at least 2 to 3 times a day the system freezes while i am browsing the internet. It also freezes frequently on shutdown and leaves the windows is shutting down screen up. I did the trouble shooting for windows shutdown issues and still it does it several times a week.

System specs.

Windows 98se (all updates)
40gb hd
256 mb ram
900mzh amd athlon processor

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advanced for your help.

try to remove the unwanted startup files from:
1. msconfig->startup
2. Start->Programs->Startup
3. HKLM->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Current Version->Run
4. RunServices
5. RunOnce

You could also run the sfc to check and correct any corruptions in any system files

Those system specs are fine for most users. Not a great gaming machine or workhorse, but for surfing and general use, it's fine.

Have you inspected the system for overheating issues? Any fans recently start making excess noise, or, if you open the case and look inside without touching anything, are all the fans running? If there excessive dust in the case? Get a can of compressed air (~$12 from BestBuy or similar stores, cheap online) and blow all the dust, dirt and junk out of the case)

The other major reason for system lockups is software issues, thus...
Download, update and scan with Ad-aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com and Spybot http://www.security.kolla.de (did you update Spybot first?)
Then download a scan with Hijack This
http://merijn.org/
Don't delete anything that Hijack lists, most are required files and settings, however, someone here can look over the logs for anything that could be causing the freezes.

Good luck.

I use Win 98SE with IE 6 SP1 with no problems.

suggest you check security levels in Internet Options.

also, uninstall and reinstall java.

if no cure, backup your files and reinstall windows from your
computer cd

try to remove the unwanted startup files from:
1. msconfig->startup
2. Start->Programs->Startup
3. HKLM->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Current Version->Run
4. RunServices
5. RunOnce

You could also run the sfc to check and correct any corruptions in any system files..... (I really don't know why am I banned..)

More suggestions:
In IE6 Internet Options, General tab, Temporary Internet Files, click Settings - check 'every visit to the page'.
While there, click'delete cookies'. click 'delete history'.

Click Security tab, Internet - enable 'allow metarefresh'.

On Privacy tab, click Advanced.. check 'override automatic cookie handling', click 'accept' for first-party and third-party cookies, click 'always allow session cookies'.

On Connections tab, click 'never dial a connection'.

On Advanced tab, under Security,
click 'use ssl 2.0' and 'use ssl 3.0' -- uncheck use TLS 1.0.

Ok out and try your website again.

Well, folks, lets not overlook trying to use Mozilla Firebird. If everything else works in 98, then i see not the need of going up to a new OS. IMHO, unless you want to upgrade to 200 or XP, don't.

If you do decide to upgrade, however, backup and do a fresh install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom