system freezes when accessing pics/folders - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default system freezes when accessing pics/folders

over last few weeks noticed something strange. I have been running XP and about 60% of the time if i try to open a picture in windows folder view it freezes up. Not the entire system but the folder. Then i crtl alt delete and doesnt seem to help so have to restart it. I havent added any new software lately. I've done a maxtor test on hard drivers,defragged it and doesnt appear to be problems there. It only ever seems to happen on pictures. i did notice a lot of hard drive noise when booting up this morning. very odd.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to bigstanklo

I have the same thing happen to me with my maxtor HD. i switched my OS from a seagate to the maxtor (big mistake). When i just used the maxtor as a backup drive and the seagate ran my OS the computer ran flawlessly and the maxtor never froze. Do you have your OS on the maxtor?? If so only solution i know is to place it on another HD. I'm sure there are other reasons/solutions but since i have an extra HD this solution worked for me.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re:

Have you defragged and done disk checks lately?

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 01-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

if you set the folder to files, and not pictures, under "customize folder", it may help.
Closed Thread