System clock runs fast -- causing other knock on issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethrion

Beta member
Hi there all - I hope someone can help me with a problem I've been trying to find a solution to for months now ...

My system clock runs 1-9 seconds fast evey minute!

I have had this issue for a couple of months now and have gone through various possible solutions in trying to fix it and as a result I have interesting information that someone may be able to use to diagnose the actual cause of the issue:

To start off with I'd like to clarify that it is NOT the CMOS battery running low that is causing the problem, an explanation that has been suggested on various forums (this would be if the clock was still slow even after a reboot - my BIOS clock keeps perfect time ). I have myself replaced my battery and it made no difference whatsoever.
Another suggestion for it is excessive system load, I am however DOUBTFUL that it is system load that CAUSES the issue but I have observed that it does AGGRIVATE the issue (my clock may run 2s fast/min while idleing or browsing the net or word processing etc. - but it will run up to 9s fast/min when playing an online game for example). I have a very fast PC and have given it much much harder times, while the clock has been fine, for this to be the cause.
I have also disabled automatic windows clock synchronisation, automatic daylight saving time adjustment and checked that the time zone is correct. All of which have been suggested to me as solutions to the problem.

I also found a nifty little program that autosynch's the sys clock to the BIOS clock every X seconds (how im getting my figures). The name is ClockMon. If anyone else out there is having the same issue and you are just worrying about telling the time then this will fix your issue.
For me though this out of synch clock problem causes EVE Online (a MMOG) to have serious communication issues for some reason and become nearly unplayable - my motivation to fix this issue.

Interestingly the other night i found that the problem was gone. I tested my PC with all sorts of activity and the clock was fine and in synch and stayed that way - which leads me to believe that its the activity of another program (that didnt start on this occasion) thats causing the issue - pure, uninformed, speculation on my part I might add ;). After a shutdown however the issue returned as if it had never been fixed at all :confused: I have virus and spyware checked the whole machine and found nothing at all

So then after all that - a bit of a better description of the problem than you normally get - have any of you clever folks got a better idea of what could be causing this?

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

James.

i'd goto the motherboard or computer manufacturer's website and update the bios. If that doesn't work, call the motherboard or computer manufacturer tech support as there could be a problem with the motherboard's hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom