System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omatsei

Beta member
Forgive me if this question doesn't really fit the forum (I'm new here), but I figured I'd ask anyway. Does anyone have any experience with SCCM and setting it up from scratch? I've never worked with SMS, and I'm more of a Linux guy anyway, but I've been charged with getting SCCM up and working, supplying updates, managing clients, deploying Vista, and as soon as R2 (or whatever they call it) comes out, managing SoftGrid apps too. If anyone has any links to guides or advice, it'd be appreciated.

I already have the server up and running with the clients discovered. I'm now trying to figure out how exactly to manage the updates. After that, I'm on to deploying apps from the server via advertisements (how does this differ from Softgrid?). Step 4 will be deploying Vista... Step 5 is the same as Step 3, except with Softgrid, unless there's no difference in them.

SCCM is a big bite to chew off.

The company I work for actually sells training for this. But let me answer a couple of your questions.

Deploying Apps means making a software package that will be sent out to your clients (via advertisement) and actually installed on the machines. Softgrid is used to stream an app out to clients that runs in ram and disappears once the app is closed. (Very similar to Citrix if you're familiar with that beast)

We have a SMS/SCCM user group here in MN that I attend that's great for networking and tackling problems together

Welcome to the Minnesota System Center User Group!

Other than that, I would say google is your best friend. Or picking up a book or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom