Syste Crashed, windows can't boot. Two problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Zeus90

Baseband Member
Hello everyone.

Problem #1

I've tried doing a search for this problem and haven't seen it anywhere, so I appologize if I'm making a duplicate post.

"Basically my computer went down one day, for which I don't know the reason as I had not installed / changed anything. Turned the machine back on and get an error that states the following:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

So I've tried fixing the master boot records, and there is no other information on which specific file is corrupt so I'm stuck.

I installed windows on a brand new partition on a different hard drive, and it was running fine. 2 days later it happens again. I did install some of the windows updates but nothing major. Perhaps this could be the reason to the errors.

My copy of windows is legit, so I don't see any foul play at work here. Security system was up and running no virus's got through.

Is there some commands I can do to fix the files or?

Also,

Problem # 2

One other problem is I shut my machine down the other day to clean it off, dust it out and such, took out the video card and dusted it off then put it back in the machine. When I went to start it up I heard a loud squeeling noise and the machine wouldn't even boot into bios. I took out the card and place in a small GeForce 128 card and it boots up fine. However, I think the power source could also be a fault here. My eVga card requires a seperate power line to the card. Could it be that the power source isn't providing enough power to the card and the rest of the system anymore? Reminder: it was running fine for a few months. I'm also wondering if it isn't the motherboard at fault. However.... I have not been able to put this video card into any other system to test it, and I highly doubt any computer shops offer that type of testing without some B.S. line or charge. One other thing I noticed, whenever I would click on the on-board ethernet adaptor and select disable the whole machine would instantly reboot. (And now I can't even get the system up to find the error code in BSOD)

System Spec's:
420 Watt Power supply
AMD Athlon64 3000+ Running at 2.2Ghz
Corsair 1GB Dual channel PC 3200 DDR Ram. 512 x2
Kingston 512 Dual Channel PC3200 DDR Ram. 256x2

Motherboard: Epox - EP-9NDA3J
http://www.epox.com/USA/product.asp?id=EP-9NDA3J

Motheboard + Processor were a bundle from NewEgg.com

Video Card: GeForce 6800GT 256DDR2
I had paid about $400 for the card at the time from Newegg.com (4-5 months back) , and I'm praying its not fried, I really don't think it is. I think theres another cause to it.

So, what I'm hoping to get out of this post is possibly:

1) Possible ways to fix the operating system without another fresh install.

2) Possible solutions / reasons for why my video card isn't working.
(I'm leaning towards the power source or motherboard, since it was crashing with the ethernet adapter changes)

I'm really strapped on cash at the moment, so I'm hoping that I can find the cheapest / most simple solution to fixing this machine.

Thank you all very much in advance, for your time, knowledge, and help!

-Shawn
shawn@bz90.com

1. Boot off your XP disk and go into the recovery console. Run chkdsk /r . Reboot once complete and see if it boots into Windows then report back.

2. Buy another power supply from a place that will return it for cash. Test it with the new PSU then return it. If it does the same thing then you know you have a video card issue. If it works, then you know that you need to replace your PSU.

I tried doing the chkdsk /r, and it found nothing wrong.

Restarted and I still received the error message. =(

Any other possible solutions?

Thank you very much for your help and support!

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Thanks alot Warez Monster!

I actually had begun a new installation overlapping the current one just as I saw your post. What was strange, was that it didn't even ask me if I wanted to repair the current installation. It didn't even recognize the installation, which I think could have been caused by service pack upgrades.

In any case, despite my hopes I'm staring at his wonderfully boring blue screen waiting for the OS to install again, lol

Thanks again you two for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom