sys check scheduled from XP to ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

max80

Beta member
I accidentally scheduled system check (c/properties/tools/error checking (check now)/automatically fix file system errors) from second partition with windows XP to first partition with windows ME, and now when I boot win ME it stops at wallpaper appearance and nothing makes it continue.

Tried with reinstall win ME but same thing happens.
Where does windows writes scheduled sys checking (I’m puzzled with this because it’s another partition with another OS) – how to unschedule sys check?

Please help.

i wouldnt use windows me. Is that your only operating system?

if i were you, i would try to get your hands on windows 2000, its very stable, and it runs on anything with at least 128 MB RAM.

BTW Windows ME doesnt have a good installer.

max80 said:
I accidentally scheduled system check (c/properties/tools/error checking (check now)/automatically fix file system errors) from second partition with windows XP to first partition with windows ME, and now when I boot win ME it stops at wallpaper appearance and nothing makes it continue.

Tried with reinstall win ME but same thing happens.
Where does windows writes scheduled sys checking (I’m puzzled with this because it’s another partition with another OS) – how to unschedule sys check?

Please help.

How did you go about doing this?

@talldude123

Like I said, two partitions with two OS-es: C:winME and D:winXP.

I know win ME is the devilÂ’s work, and I considered to upgrade ME to 2000, but I have use ME for long time and just need to have OS other than NT family (already have XP witch works surprisingly well on my old old machine). Also tons of settings and programs installed.

@Warez Monster

It's bizarre, I know. ThatÂ’s why it bugs me so. I'm not without any experience, and always find a way to fix problems before, much more serious than this one.

This is what I did: in windows explorer of windows XP right clicked C: (with win ME on it) and then /properties/tools/error checking (check now)/automatically fix file system errors). It informed me that it will be executed next time I boot. So I booted from C: and Windows ME starts until wallpaper appears (thatÂ’s the point where checking usually starts) and nothing happens.
Well, first time I booted, autochk.exe (I had copy of this file by pure chance in the root of C: putted there much earlier) witch is checking utility of XP not ME, informed me that expected newer version of windows and exit. I deleted that file and now doesnÂ’t happening anything at that point.

I inspected some of startup locations in registry of ME : Machine…….Run,RunOnce, User……..Run,RunOnce (from DOS boot floppy) – nothing shifty.
Is it somewhere in the boot sequence (boot loaderÂ…).

Maybe some system file is damaged, or wrong registry setting, but shouldnÂ’t reinstall of WinME fix that.

Windows XP on D: boot and works normally.

try running chkdsk from cmd prompt under run....then reboot and see if that still happens

If that dont work use this:

CHKDSK C: /F /R

say yes since the volume is in use an reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom