SyncToy data backup software

S4ndm4n

Baseband Member
Hey guys,
At work, I've got a huge amount of data to manage. Its comprised of videos, pictures, and reports all inside specific folder structures to accommodate specialized software. I've recently started using SyncToy by Microsoft to keep a backup of the data. I'm keeping one copy of everything from 2014 on my desktop at work and backing up a copy to a NAS drive. SyncToy seems to be running pretty slow, took about 2 hours roughly to check a folder pair of about 300 GB on each side. Is that normal or should I tweak some setting or use different software? Any suggestions? I'm looking at managing about 2TB per year in the original and keeping a backup copy. I am waiting on a new computer that we are working on building to get archived data into the system more accessible. We are looking into a desktop with hard drives that can be easily pulled out the front and changed out (not sure what that's called). I'm really struggling to get a handle on this stuff, keeping it organized and backed up since the data is extremely valuable to the company. We used to keep everything on external hard drives but last year one fried so we are working on other methods and systems. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Is it copying to a local HDD, or over the network?

If over the network, is it doing it during peak work hours, or do you have it scheduled for overnight?

Do you have SyncToy setup to only backup changes, or is it backing up everything even if it's unchanged?

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 with a AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor 3.40 GHz with 8GB of RAM although due to OS there's only 3.12 usable RAM (32 bit).

What I'm doing is pulling external data from RDX tapes onto the desktop secondary hard drive. There is nothing on that hard drive except the project data. In my office (only me in here) there are 2 desktops and a laptop that I'm running.

I'm networked through a Buffalo Air Station that is not connected to the internet. So I've got a network of some sort but it's only the machines in the office and those 3 computers are connected via network to a NAS drive. I'm trying to get the data from the hard drive on a desktop backed up to the NAS. I've got the good ethernet cables I'm told so speed would be good but I guess the answer you're looking for is 'yes, I'm trying to back up from desktop through ethernet into a router or switch (not sure which it would be classified as) and into the NAS.

Yes local network. Private network, or something like that. VPN? I have 3 computers, a NAS drive that's not connected to the internet, and a router that's not connected to the internet. Basically, all 3 computers and NAS are connected to the router and only talk to each other. I get online with one machine using a cellular wireless card

That wouldn't be a VPN - just a local network.

What setting do you have SyncToy setup for? IMO, I'd set it to the "Contribute" option, so it only backs up one way, without deletes. Renames/edits/new files are copied over with that setting.

thanks for the clarification of private network. I do have it set to contribute to NAS from hard drive. I've been running SyncToy manually and hitting preview instead of run first.. Maybe I should just hit run or set it up through task manager as you suggested to run overnight. I'm also trying to get together the proper tools for security and maintenance which I should probably start a new thread on before I set everything up through task manager. I should have all that stuff running overnight while I'm punched out. Sounds like I'm doing what I should be and that I'm just expecting it to run faster than it does.

I read somewhere that synctoy is for winxp and I'm on win7 with synctoy 2.1, no compatibility issues there right? It seems to run fine

Last edited:
SyncToy is fine for Win7 as well.

It's just file copying software, so it should be fine.

I believe it was you who recommended SyncToy to begin with. You've been real helpful and I appreciate it, thanks CarnageX!

Back
Top Bottom