Switching from xp to Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestone86

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, I just found out that the copy of windows xp professional was a bootleg copy and now windows wont update my computer and I need to download their version of XP..yada yada yada....but i was thinking i may just upgrade to vista. its like 100 bucks for vista and its 150 for xp. I ran the windows program that tests my computer if its vista ready and it said that my computer should handle vista. Is upgrading to vista going to take forever or should i just get xp?

Or you could save your money and get the Win7 RC. It's free for a year...by the time it runs out, the full version should have been released.

I wonder if you can even upgrade from a bootleg copy of XP.

But I'd definitely do what hikaricloud said and run Windows 7 RC and wait to pay for the final of Windows 7. Why pay for Vista when a new version is getting ready to come out?

so people at bestbuy sold me vista but the 32 bit version :-( and i was supposed to get the 64bit......what happens now? can i use the 32 bit or am i screwed

You can still use it but did you open the package? If its not open yet then you can return it and exchange for 64bit if you want to. Is you comp 64bit compatible in the first place?

yeah its open, thats how i found out it was the 32bit. My computer has 2 gigs of memory and 2.0gig dualcore processor so i believe that it would work with the 64bit version. So i guess ill just install the 32 bit one......am i going to have alot of problems with software and stuff?

How much did they sell you that disk for? I hope they didn't rip you off with a full retail copy...

Too bad you didn't wait, though, Win7 would have been loads better. :\

For now, the 32bit will work fine with your current RAM.

Sadly you wont be able to do it. As forrest said, you can only upgrade from XP to Vista when you have a fully legit copy installed and activated.

Vista Requirements

Upgrade versions require you to own a copy of Windows 2000 or XP (any edition) with a valid license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom