Switching windows on a harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDtbawab6634n63

Baseband Member
I want to move/duplicate my Windows Xp sp2 (academic edition) from my shitty hardrive, to my new one.

Can anyone tell me how this is possible?

Best piece of advice would be to Ghost the drive. Or use Acronis True Image and make a image of the drive and all it contents. From there put that image on your new drive.

This may work. But it may not. As the hardware profile is set with the old drive as the main it might not take.

Only other option would be to install Windows on the new drive and do a file and settings transfer.

What's a file and setting transferr?

O btw, my friend said that u can put Windows on 3 different computers before it stops you....

Wether on not it's true is a different story

Well since you are just switching HDD's you are not switching PC's according to M$. According to M$ you have to switch Mobo's and Processors for it to be considered a new PC. So you would be safe just installing it again on your new HDD.

The File and Settings Transfer Wizard is located at Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools

That is what you use when you install XP on a new machine and want to transfer over your old settings and that. I dont know how well it works since i have never personally tried it.

How long has your current OS been installed? If it's been a while you may just want to do a reinstall. If it hasn't been that long, just ghost it.

Well, OK...

The reason I'm moving it is because I'm changing processors, motherboard and graphics card.

I've had XP for about 1 year.

Well since you are changing everything then Norton Ghost wont work. The hardware profile wont work with the new settings. HAve to do a fresh install then do a file and settings transfer.

you could use Symantec LiveState Recovery, but it wouldn't pay to buy that for something like this. But who "buys" software anyway? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom