Switching to 64bit Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason for less viruses I would assume is because the core architecture is revamped making it non compatible with xp 32 bit viruses. Secondly not many businesses have moved to server 2008 yet so for creating generic viruses there is little point, believe it or not a virus is not designed for home users in general its for corporate targets. Malware and adware are designed for home users.

Yes but Vista x64 with a good proactive AV like panda or AVG make your PC almost bulletproof (not sure if Panda has 64 bit capable release yet tho.. I have been using AVG for some time now) right now I'm testing Comodo's FW/packet filter and AV.. no probs so far and it seems pro-active too but the main stream stuff I have used in the past is crap, IMHO.

Simple solution is don't go on dodgy sites including myspace or facebook (there are nasties hidden in the ads apparently) I have never had a virus problem since I knew what I was doing on xp :). Viruses are a user related problem on a home pc rather then a software issue..... AVG is a mainstream vorus scanner if your referring to norton home suite its ok for protection but uses up so many resources.

LOL, yea I love the low places on the web and I have no fear and no probs since I stopped using AV programs like Norton and kopersky. a good proactive one will kill anything before it infects your machine sometimes before it even gets near it.

Yes but Vista x64 with a good proactive AV like panda or AVG make your PC almost bulletproof (not sure if Panda has 64 bit capable release yet tho.. I have been using AVG for some time now) right now I'm testing Comodo's FW/packet filter and AV.. no probs so far and it seems pro-active too but the main stream stuff I have used in the past is crap, IMHO.

That isnt true. Cause not all viruses are downloaded now. Many are embedded in Flash images and that as well now. Along with being part of ActiveX in IE.

The best solution is to be protected no matter what. I dont use a firewall. I run Avast. I have a router. Yet i have not had a single infection from Spyware or Virus in well over 3 years. Plus i do go to dodgy sites and Facebook and MySpace. It is knowing how to keep yourself protected that is teh best solution.

Using a Firewall, AV and all that is great. But it isnt the end all solution. You can and most likely will still be infected. I have 5 different browsers installed. Each serve a purpose for the type of website i will visit.

Firefox with the NoScript, AdBlock, Flash Block extensions added in will be your best protection on any dodgy site. Cause nothing will run.

Opera is my normal browser with Ad Filters in place.

IE i use for some surfing now and it does serve a purpose with Silverlight now.

Safari and Chrome are just test browsers really. But i can use them for Facebook and MySpace with no worries.

So to think that Comodo and AVG will protect you overall is not true. Check our Virus area. People are running AVG and firewalls and they still get infected. It takes more than just those to protect someone.

Il take your advice ppl, thanx.

Instead of XP x64 I will try Vista Ultimate 64x.
And about the optimization, a definite YES.

Though I still cant figure out how a startup program or drivers that came installed can slow a machine to that rate (im excluding malware from the culprit list), especialy one with high performance hardware.

Again the optimization, any advice from people who already done that?

The more things that are in your start up list.. the longer it takes for windows to start, depending on what OS you have and what programs are starting with it. especially with bloatware that comes stock, with a pre-man pc.

You boot windows as it loads and all the programs in the start up do at the same time, they will often try to connect to the net to get updates.. scan.. what ever their purpose is. one program that hangs up quite often during boot is adobe writer.

The more things that are in your start up list.. the longer it takes for windows to start, depending on what OS you have and what programs are starting with it. especially with bloatware that comes stock, with a pre-man pc.

You boot windows as it loads and all the programs in the start up do at the same time, they will often try to connect to the net to get updates.. scan.. what ever their purpose is. one program that hangs up quite often during boot is adobe writer.

I agree, BUT the thing started after SP1, not before.
I have checked the list and its HUGE. Well yeah What could you expect from a pre-installed system... "HP this manager, HP that updater and many more...".
Installing Vista Ultimate x64 instead, and I'l try to narrow the startup to the necessary soft only, also switch to more lightweight apps...

I hope for performance improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom