Svchost Hogging CPU [:3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikatsui

Beta member
Yeah, I have used Process Explorer and found that it is "Remote Access Connection Manager"
The question is, how do I fix it? (Can't stop from Process Explorer)
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, btw :neutral:

Is it a single instance of svchost consuming 99% of your CPU? Are you running Windows XP? If so, then try installing this patch.

However, just ignore that and state which version of Windows you are using if you aren't running XP.

Svchost is generally a necessary process. Many people conceive it as a hog due to the number of threads you see running in the background, but you shouldn't have to worry about it unless you're seeing something out of the ordinary.

Is it a single instance of svchost consuming 99% of your CPU? Yes Are you running Windows XP? If so, then try installing this patch. Is this the one that fixes Automatic Updates? That doesn't seem to be the problem.

However, just ignore that and state which version of Windows you are using if you aren't running XP.

Svchost is generally a necessary process. Many people conceive it as a hog due to the number of threads you see running in the background, but you shouldn't have to worry about it unless you're seeing something out of the ordinary. This is very out of the ordinary. It actually started happening after Windows updated.

So, yeah.

You still havent told us what version of Windows you are running. Cant quite help if you dont disclose any information other than your cpu is spiking and it happened after a Windows Update.

At most we can say is uninstall those updates till you find the culprit.

Other than that until we know what version of Windows your running it is kinda hard to assist you in any way.

Posted from Samsung Galaxy Tablet using the Tech-Fourms App

All you say is and i quote:

This is very out of the ordinary. It actually started happening after Windows updated.

This does NOT tell me that you are running Windows XP. This does not tell me that you tried this patch. This does not tell me anything other than it started after Windows updated.

You ask a question earlier:

Is this the one that fixes Automatic Updates? That doesn't seem to be the problem.

This does not tell me that you are running XP. This is a question that you want answered. This is not an answer to are you running Windows XP and have you tried this patch. Answering a question with a question is not how to determine an answer for the rest of us. I can not determine by you asking another question that you run Windows XP. Sorry you think that you answered it, but all you did was leave answers that give no more information that the start.

Use ProcessMon from SysInternals to find out what service that svchost.exe is attached to. It could be an infection or it could be something else.

Services:

AudioSrv
BITS
Browser
CryptSvc
Dhcp
ERSvc
EventSystem
FastUserSwitchingCompatability
helpsvc
HidServ
LanmanServer
Ianmanworkstation
Netman
Nla
RasMan
Schedule
seclogon
SENS
ShellHWDetection
srservice
TapiSrv
Themes
TrkWks
W32Time
winmgmt
wuauserv
WZCSVC

As for the patch, my Windows is updated to a newer version than the patch needs.

Okay not to be mean, but you need to try and give some more information. Like what you want or need to know. How are we supposed to know what posting of this list means? How are we supposed to know what you do know and dont know? Would you rather we treat you like a complete n00b and walk you through everything or have you tell us what you already know and we guide you from there?

You need to be a bit more through with your posting. We cant assist you if you are not even willing to make an effort to try and tell us anything. Help us help you or your not going to get any help from anyone. Bumping your topic doesnt help when you dont give any information at all.

AudioSrv
Audio Service if you want sound, this is legit.

BITS
Background Intelligent Transfer Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Browser
Self Explanitory

CryptSvc
cryptsvc, CPU hog

Could be the source of your problem, but that is in Vista. It is for Cryptographic Services.

Dhcp
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) needed

ERSvc
Error Reporting Service

EventSystem
Event Viewer

FastUserSwitchingCompatability
Self Explinatory

helpsvc
Help Service

HidServ
Human Interface Device. If you want your mouse or keyboard to work this is needed.

LanmanServer
Support for peer-to peer file sharing, print sharing, and named pipe sharing via SMB services.

Ianmanworkstation
The LanmanWorkstation subkey stores configuration data for the Workstation service. The Workstation service provides network connections and communications on computers running Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Server.

Netman
Network Connection Service

Nla
Network Location Awareness

RasMan
Remote Access Connection Manager

Schedule
Task Scheduler

seclogon
Secure Logon

SENS
System Event Notification Service