svchost.exe running wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjm1027

Baseband Member
I have noticed for the past 3 days my CPU Usage has been at 100% Using XP Pro.
I ran some ad ware software to find all the junk (spy bot and Ad-Aware) but I am still pinned at 100% cpu usage. Anyone have any ideas how to find out what is running?
I see that svchost.exe is using a ton of cpu. How can I stop it safely and how do I know if it's a virus or just something else?

Thanks in advance
Steve

disable Windows Update Automatically

go to My Computer, Control Panel, Automatic Updates, change the thing to something else...

There should be multiple instances of svchost.exe running at once. Don't worry about that process.

For future reference, just google "what is processname.exe" and it'll usually give you an answer.

EDIT: Or disable it :p

There should be multiple instances of svchost.exe running at once. Don't worry about that process.

For future reference, just google "what is processname.exe" and it'll usually give you an answer.

There has been trojans in the past named svchost.exe...

Though, they would likely be picked up by a virus scan.

Do some of the Windows XP optimizing things, like disabling file indexing.

Run CCleaner, Ad-Aware, and Spybot S&D. Then run HijackThis and post the log in the HijackThis forum and see if they can spot anything out of place.

svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

It can be a virus, but it should always run too.

Note: svchost.exe is a process registered as a backdoor vulnerability which may be installed for malicious purposes by an attacker allowing access to your computer from remote locations, stealing passwords, Internet banking and personal data. If unaccounted for, this process should be removed immediately.

Note: svchost.exe is a process which is registered as a trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer from remote locations, stealing passwords, Internet banking and personal data. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.

I believe the virus is scvhost. It looks almost exactly the same but 2 letters are different. I have seen that before as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom