Svchost.exe running at >100,000K?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettmiddle

Beta member
I know it's normal to have more than 5 running, but I checked my task manager after I saw in one of my gadgets that my RAM was running over 50%(2 GB RAM).

Here are some pictures of what I saw:

yahooSVCHOSTprocess.jpg

yahoocomputerRAM.jpg

yahooSVCHOST.jpg

Click HERE for my virus total scan.

Is there anyway I can take down what it uses for memory? I've turned down its priority, and it doesn't make a difference.

Yes, I KNOW! svchost.exe is a big part of Windows, don't remind me! :madd:

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - SP1
2GB RAM
256MB ATI FirePro V3700 (FireGL)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz 2.33 GHz

The two best solutions would be:
1) Buy more RAM. It's incredibly cheap at the minute.
2) Reduce RAM usage elsewhere.

There's not a lot you can do to reduce svchost's footprint. But you can probably free up some RAM by stopping various programs from starting up with Windows (pointless stuff like Google Update or Java Update or Nvidia 3D Service).

Lets see the devices uses up that amount of resources are:

HID or mouse/keyboard.
Windows Audio
Homegroup Listener
Network Connections
DWM AKA Aero
WLAN Autoconfig

So you see the amount of things you have going on directly relates to what you are doing. You are using your mouse and keyboard cause I see in the previous picture you have Firefox open as well. So that accounts for the HID. Since Windows Audio is also running I would guess that you are on something like YouTube watching a video within Firefox.

The Homegroup Listener is trying to listen for devices connected to your homegroup. Only way to disable that, disable homegroup.

Network connections, you on the internet so that is a must. Along with your WLAN Autoconfig.

The last is DWM or the fancy graphics you see when you look at your taskbar which is known as Aero. You could disable Aero and gain some resources back, but DWM is so tied in to Win7 that I doubt it will make a difference.

Sorry but I am not clicking a link to go to VirusScan to see what your outcome was. It is not a site I know or trust.

Sorry but I am not clicking a link to go to VirusScan to see what your outcome was. It is not a site I know or trust.

VirusTotal is safe. I've used it before; you basically upload a file or a link, and it scans it with many different virus scanning engines/definitions (AVG, McAfee, MSE, etc.). Basically a way for people to prove the file they uploaded isn't a virus.

carnageX:1918160 said:

VirusTotal is safe. I've used it before; you basically upload a file or a link, and it scans it with many different virus scanning engines/definitions (AVG, McAfee, MSE, etc.). Basically a way for people to prove the file they uploaded isn't a virus.

Why go through all that when I can read a log and not have to go anywhere? ;)

It technically is a logfile :p.

But like I said, it's basically a way to prove something isn't malicious. Can be useful when encountering false positives.

I've gotten some help until an admin started talking about VT being something malicious, but I'm going to try what KSoD said.

Alright, I got Homegroup turned off but, it didn't make a difference, and I changed my theme to Win98 and I thought svchost.exe dropped because my percentage went lower...but it was still >100,000K.
Oh well, I might as well get 4GB more, total up to 6, that or get 8GB and replace the 2 in mine.

It could be Superfetch as well.

Superfetch pre-loads frequently-used programs so that they open faster. But if the RAM that Superfetch is needed for other resources, it dumps the allotted memory from Superfetch and gives it to the requesting program. Windows 7 implements this very well; so your RAM usage may appear high, but when its needed it will be freed and given to what is requesting it.

Unused RAM = wasted RAM.

You seem to forget that it also it tied to your use of Firefox. Do you have Firefox turned off when your viewing the total?

What else is it tied to? Because this is what mine looks like.... :confused:
asdf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom