svchost.exe causing all kinds of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
First of all, when the system is at idle and I'm not doing anything, svchost.exe is constantly requesting CPU and as you can see in the task manager, it just bounces up and down. This is all from svchost.exe.

taskmgr.jpg

When I go into hibernate or standby and turn the computer back on, it's using 100% CPU for a few seconds and then returns to the jumping up and down. Now, svchost.exe is using about 150mb of RAM. Of course, ending the process starts the system shutdown which I cancel by "shutdown -a" in command prompt. After this, other programs start using 100% CPU.

I've tried repairing the OS with no luck. Anyone know what's going on here? I've done some searching around and found that I'm not the only one with this problem, but I've never actually seen anyone get the problem fixed.

We had this issue with a ton of our laptops at work. Eventually we had to go to Microsoft and have them send us a patch to kill that process. It was hogging 100% system resources and eventually drowning all of our systems.

I really don't have any information on what it was exactly or where it came from though. We believe it was something in an update from Microsoft perhaps. Also, we figured it was "updates" to your PC and to just let them run their course.

Some of the PC's we had hadn't been plugged up and updated in a very long time and it seemed after letting svchost run and finish the updates (they may be in the background or something and you can't see them, or they were stopped prematurely before) the PC's eventually came out of it perfectly fine.

So either A let it run it's course or go to microsoft.com and try to update your PC fully. Make sure it has everything up to date that's required. Period. Or B, see if you can find a patch for it.

Alright, I might have eliminated the svchost.exe problem, but I think that it might have been caused by nvsvc32.exe because it is now requesting CPU at idle and I still have small spikes all the way across the CPU usage chart.

Also, nvsvc32.exe was the program that used 100% CPU after ending svchost.exe.

I'm going to try another Nvidia driver and see what happens.

i'm a bit worried about ending the svchost process but if it causes the culprit to come out of the woodworks then i guess i could give it a shot :)

Would like to know about a more permanent fix myself, but as a stopgap measure, we can remove a computer from the domain, reboot, then rejoin it to the domain. This clears up the svchost.exe issue for a few days/weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom