Svchost.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleed_inc

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

Does n e 1 know where i can disable in windows the svchost.exe image name.

It has been annoying me lately when it is automatically started by windows and takes over 90% of my CPU.

I always have to open up Task Manager to disable the little sucker before I can get my CPU for use on other things.

It's saying that it is a NETWORK SERVICE, so i have tried to stop some service that i thought were connected to it but it still runs every time..

n e suggestions or help is appreciated..

cheers

Svchost.exe is ONLY a piggyback/courier service that other services use (xp splits svchost.exe into groups so you might have 2-5 entries running in Task Manager and each entry might have ten services).

To find what is really making the call on svchost.exe download 'procexp.exe' from Sysinternals....or

...open Run | (type) cmd | (type) tasklist /svc. From here you will see entries on the left for svchost.exe and on the right the services that are using it.

Also have you configured your services for your needs (services.msc)?

Although unlikely, if by chance it says
Scvhost.exe
then it's a virus (or maybe trojan) which uses up CPU by trying to access the internet constantly. You'll notice the 'c' and the 'v' are switched. Happened me once, and kept trying to send packets which were caught by my Firewall. Only then I noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom