Surge Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
all those are is just extra plugs, nothing more....you want a real SP, you gotta spend more the 2$, even if it was 5$

talldude123 said:
I have a Lite-On surge protector...i dont think brand makes a difference.

Paying good money for one makes a difference...mine was $2 from the local hardware store.

take it from a guy who fried a computer on a cheap surge protector. spend some money.

APC have high joules ratings and offer triple (3 way, not 1 way) protection. now if your protector catch a surge, it will not longer protect that item (most manufacturer don't tell you that). most apc's will let you know when they are no longer protecting you.

this surge protector is my NEWEST one, i have a closet full of old surge protectors, from around the early 90s

they would fry my computer.

talldude123 said:
this surge protector is my NEWEST one, i have a closet full of old surge protectors, from around the early 90s

they would fry my computer.

there a reason it only cost 2 bucks while mine cost anywhere from 50-100 bucks. I fried a computer on a 30 dollar surge protector (it only had one way protection ) when a surge came through, so you are joking when you think that, that 2 surge protector with a 50 cent polyswitch on it will protect you if a surge come through (the cheap one ain't nothing but a power strip with a polyswitch on it)

if you don't have much invested in it go for it. I have 2,000 - 3,000.00 invested in my main computer so you know that I not messing with a 2 dollar surge protector

I have CompUSA and Best Buy in my area. Where do you recommend that I pick up the surge proctectors?

It's your choice the store doesn't determine the quality just look for hardware warrenties if a surge does destroy your system and look for how many joules it has. If you decide to get a UPS look for the same things as well as APS ("Regulated Power Flow in the event of brownouts or something").

I've got a few old surge protectors laying around nothing to be proud of but I also picked up a geek squad UPS rather nice.

How about the Joule raiting. As I understand the Joule raiting is the amount of electricity that the surge protector can handle at one time. What do you think is the minimum exceptable Joule level?

jbc said:
How about the Joule raiting. As I understand the Joule raiting is the amount of electricity that the surge protector can handle at one time. What do you think is the minimum exceptable Joule level?

I would go with the highest rating that I can find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom