Supremes down P2P software makers in unanimous decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Supremes down P2P software makers in unanimous decision

The US Supreme Court has ruled unanimously against P2P sites Grokster and StreamCast.

The ruling means that developers of P2P software can be held liable for their users' actions and that the software makers must work to prevent the distribution of copyrighted material. The P2P firms had argued that their software can be used for numerous non-infriging uses, making it legal under an older ruling protecting devices like the VCR.

"We hold that one who distributes a device with the object of promoting its use to infringe copyright, as shown by the clear expression or other affirmative steps taken to foster infringement, is liable for the resulting acts of infringement by third parties," Justice David H. Souter wrote.

This decision sends the case back to a lower court. Two courts had already sided with the P2P makers over the music and movie studios.

The court did not buy into the argument that ruling against P2P software makers could prove chilling to technology development. Many feared that such a decision could eventually affect devices like MP3 players and other types of new software.

The media companies contested such logic, saying that P2P software was primarily used to swap copyrighted material, and the Supreme Court agreed.

"The record is replete with evidence that from the moment Grokster and StreamCast began to distribute their free software, each one clearly voiced the objective that recipients use it to download copyrighted works, and each took active steps to encourage infringement," Souter wrote.

It's not immediately clear how the Supreme Court used the 1984 Sony decision in its ruling. The landmark Sony case has long been embraced by technology companies who argue that while their devices can be used for illegal means, they also have many legitimate uses.

Warez,

Very nice of you to post this, but please use the off topic area! This is for technical questions and discussion. Not the latest news headline.
I for one am tired of it, so please if you would, use the correct area to post this stuff.

Thank you
Inaris

I remember 5 years ago you could do anything on the internet. that's what got me into computers. it is also what attracked million of other people

these day you can't do anything. We should all sue the computer makers and make them refund all of our money since in each and every passing day, we lose a right to do anything on it.

in 2000, there was this song that I haven't heard in 20 year. I knew the song by the name by not the artist (I was a kid, after all). I had been to all of the record stores searching for this song for like 10+ years. when I got my 1st computer I type the name in google and bam, there it was. with a download link to it and this wasn't even a p2p site. the internet was so free back then.

These day the rich got to make money off of everything

Inaris said:
Warez,

Very nice of you to post this, but please use the off topic area! This is for technical questions and discussion. Not the latest news headline.
I for one am tired of it, so please if you would, use the correct area to post this stuff.

Thank you
Inaris

Well lets all discuss the topic I posted like Eric did. You dont like it, then dont read it.

I agree with you but I also agree with P2P software only being used to pirate stuff. It's wrong but still no one should moniter you on P2P networks nor should they ban P2P networks it's an invasion of privacy and you cannot restrict people from using software.

if it wasn't for napster and other P2P software the MP3 market (legal and illegal) wouldn't be nearly as big as it was...MP3 were practically created for P2P...small size and almost no sound quality lost

-Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom