Suggestion on how to make my computer faster for a particular software.

benfinden

Solid State Member
Windows 64 bit
i5 processor
6gb ram DDR3

Ok so Im trying to un traktor seamlessly on my sony vaio. alright, dont laugh.

Had the computer 3 years now, not much space etc, and Traktor spike a lot, and cuts the music out intermittently.

Is it time for a windows re-install? It feels like the processing power is being used by things I cant identify, even using taskmanager to disable processes etc. Surely this processor and ram should handle Traktor well enough.

Reinstalling is a ball ache. but might be time. Will it be better?

I also have Windows 7 64 bit but only with 5gb RAM. I installed Windows 4 years ago. And my PC still works pretty quick. Try to do these steps:
1. Download CCleaner Free: CCleaner - Download
2. In CCleaner -> Tools -> Uninstall remove all programs which you do not use.
3. In CCleaner -> Cleaner remove all temporary files.
4. In CCleaner -> Registry fix all errors in Windows Registry.
5. Download Smart Defrag: Download free Smart Defrag 3.3.0.384
6. In Smart Defrag do a defragmentation of all your hard discs.
7. If you PC stil works slowly, yes, you need to re-install Windows.

I also have Windows 7 64 bit but only with 5gb RAM. I installed Windows 4 years ago. And my PC still works pretty quick. Try to do these steps:
1. Download CCleaner Free: CCleaner - Download
2. In CCleaner -> Tools -> Uninstall remove all programs which you do not use.
3. In CCleaner -> Cleaner remove all temporary files.
4. In CCleaner -> Registry fix all errors in Windows Registry.
5. Download Smart Defrag: Download free Smart Defrag 3.3.0.384
6. In Smart Defrag do a defragmentation of all your hard discs.
7. If you PC stil works slowly, yes, you need to re-install Windows.

To #4.... no no no no no. Messing with the registry isn't worth it unless you know what you're doing.

To #4.... no no no no no. Messing with the registry isn't worth it unless you know what you're doing.
I just click the "Analyze" button, then click "Fix all errors". I also do not create the Registry backup before clicking the second button :D I was doing it many times and never had any problems. CCleaner is a very clever app. In 99% of cases it just removes old records from the Registry.

I just click the "Analyze" button, then click "Fix all errors". I also do not create the Registry backup before clicking the second button :D I was doing it many times and never had any problems. CCleaner is a very clever app. In 99% of cases it just removes old records from the Registry.

It's not going to enhance performance in any noticeable way at all.

I know what CCleaner is - I've used it for years. I used to use the registry cleaner feature...but there is no noticeable benefit in doing so. The temp files cleaner is nice to use since it looks in all temp file locations for all apps.

You are one very brave individual. If the program had've removed something important in that 1% case, you could've been stuffed. Don't mess with the registry. Ever. Unless like carnage said, you know exactly what you're doing.

I wrote the tech forums review on CCleaner so I know how it works haha

I'd also suggest removing unwanted programs on start-up and services that arent needed, that may be using RAM/CPU in the background. also which AV do you use? id suggest installing avast as it isnt as heavy as other AVs.

Last edited:
Thanks all!!

Really helpful. Using Kaspersky AV. Get it free with the bank account ey...

Will try Ccleaner without touching the registry. Thanks to all contributors.

One further question: Could overloading background tasks be linked to an issue with usb connectivity? I am using a pretty heavy piece of harware, the traktor Z2, and whether or not it connects when the usb connection is made is random. I have had to turn it off and on up to 40 times before it decides to connect to the laptop. When it eventually turns on, it shows a warning light which apparently means high latency or ovrloaded CPU. Could a hard working CPU prevent connection from a USB composite device?

Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom