Suggestion for hard disk partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,
My system is currently running on Windows XP and have a 120GB hard disk. I would like to learn how to use Linux so I'm planning to install Linux in my hard disk as well. Right now, I have more than 40GB worth of personal data in the same hard disk. Total disk space used to date is about 55GB. Currently my hard disk is not partitioned. (Both my data and the programs are all together in Drive C:) I'm planning to partition it using Norton PartitionMagic. Can anyone of you give me some advice as to the best ratio to use for the partitions.
Thanks in advance!:)

If you're just going to be playing with Linux, I would suggest you use Partition Magic to take about 20GB off your 120GB drive, and use that 20 for the Linux distro you want. When you install Linux, make sure you let it list the boot OS (using GRUB or LILO boot-loaders one or the other is fine) and let the Linux distro figure out what to do with the 20GB, as it will need a "swap" partition also. I do this currently on my laptop with Ubuntu and XP Pro- works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom