This sucks (WinXP Home logon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matth3w

Solid State Member
I followed the Windows XP tech advice from a thread on another message board. It instructs you to type in some sort of run code into Start>Run which should allow you automatic logon.

Now, I am FULLY aware about going into the CP and and selecting change how users logon (I forgot at the time, though, which is why I did that instead).

Now what it does, is it boots up, then comes to a screen where it looks like a Windows2000/NT etc logon box with the username is "Administrator" (I don't have an account named that, only "Matthew" which is the admin account), and automatically pops up an error saying it can't log me in (probably because its trying to auto-login an account that doesn't exist).

After I hit ok, and change the User Name to Matthew and hit enter (w/o entering a pw) it THEN goes to the usual ugly XP login with the little chess logo, to which, I still have to hit "Matthew" to be logged in.

If this was 6-10 months ago, when I never rebooted or turned off my computer, that would be ok...but now that gas/elec prices have doubled, I tend to shut it off at least once a day.

I am not exactly sure what you are asking, to auto logon with your account mathew you can :

1. DL tweakui this will install a program in your program file to
change the logon

2. run regedit ( caution editing the registry can make your pc unusable..so be carefull ) navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \microsoft\windowsnt\current version \winlogon in the right pane you will see default user name

check this out

http://www.cramsession.com/articles/files/auto-logon-192004-1442.asp

this is not a good idea to do on a work pc in a domain....you will have a very angry admin guy / girl shorly at you cubicle, because it goes against their security policy

yea, i agree with warez - who is going to break into my computer (which doesnt contain anything incredibly important anyhow, unless someone wants to listen to 21GB of armin van buuren, or play fear or BF2, or re-design my website - www.stopillegals.info), my wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom