This is stupid...but, I forgot my password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Gilinator,

If you have a password protected Admin account then they would need teh Ophcrack. But i see what you are saying. Best advice. Dont let people near your PC. ;)

Either that or use a Server Tower where you can lock the front panel which hides the power button and hte Optical Drives so that people can not access that part of your PC to get into it.

Cheers,
Mak

That just defeats the point of passwords doesn't it? So silly. How can you make sure no one can find your passwords?

Basic methods include not writing them down. Using a combination of numbers and letters. Upper and lowercase. Not names of objects. Not peoples names and not words in the dictionary.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Actually, the best solution to counter the likes of Ophcrack, is to disable the ability to boot to CD. Do this in the BIOS. Then set a BIOS password (DON'T FORGET IT) so they can't change it to allow booting to a CD. We did this at our High School and it was quite effective.

Actually, the best solution to counter the likes of Ophcrack, is to disable the ability to boot to CD. Do this in the BIOS. Then set a BIOS password (DON'T FORGET IT) so they can't change it to allow booting to a CD. We did this at our High School and it was quite effective.

Thanks that is what I was looking for. Sorry should have been more clear.

Not all computers have a clear CMOS button on the back though. Mine doesn't.

And while Ophcrack is good, it won't be able to guess random letters/numbers (it uses a dictionary-based method, doesn't it?). That's why if you don't want anybody to figure out your pass, you use random numbers/letters =).

Well the password just came to me. Weird how the brain works.

Thanks for all the help anyways.

Not all computers have a clear CMOS button on the back though. Mine doesn't.

And while Ophcrack is good, it won't be able to guess random letters/numbers (it uses a dictionary-based method, doesn't it?). That's why if you don't want anybody to figure out your pass, you use random numbers/letters =).

I've used a password ages ago that was basically similar to this:

41tenni$

And Ophcrack cracked it within minutes. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it searches for more than just whole words or else it would have never figured that password out.

Hello,

I have to agree with Surge. It uses a very good brute force method. Because i use a alpha numeric combination with symbols as well. My password is also 12 characters long and it was still able to crack it in minutes. Roughly 5 minutes. Now that is someting like this:

abc456@#$a1^

That is 12 alpha numeric with symbols. It cracked it. Much more powerful than we think.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom