This is stupid...but, I forgot my password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da11en47

In Runtime
So here's my story and hopefully everyone believes me.

I've been away at Officers Candidates School in Quantico, Virginia for the Marine Corps; for 10 weeks.

I've totally forgot my password for my laptop. I'm unable to even get past the login screen. I don't know what to do now and for some reason the password hasn't come to me in 3 days now and I doubt it will come back.

It's a Gateway, running Windows Vista. I can provide more details if necessary. I'm pretty knowledgeable with computers, I've built my desktop and have been using them for 10+ years.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you able to boot into safe mode, and log into the hidden Administrator account? If its not passworded (sometimes they are), you can log in to in, and then go to the User control panel, and you can remove the password on your user account from there.

If your administrator account is password protected, you can download and burn a CD with the Ophcrack iso. Google Ophcrack and you will find it. It can be run on any PC and will recover almost any password for local accounts.

Once you have the CD, turn your laptop off (if it was on already), then pop in the CD and boot to it. The Ophcrack program (basically a linux live CD-esque program) will find any passwords on your PC.

Are you able to boot into safe mode, and log into the hidden Administrator account? If its not passworded (sometimes they are), you can log in to in, and then go to the User control panel, and you can remove the password on your user account from there.

How do you start in SAFE mode? I can't remember.

If your administrator account is password protected, you can download and burn a CD with the Ophcrack iso. Google Ophcrack and you will find it. It can be run on any PC and will recover almost any password for local accounts.

Once you have the CD, turn your laptop off (if it was on already), then pop in the CD and boot to it. The Ophcrack program (basically a linux live CD-esque program) will find any passwords on your PC.

Hello,

I have to fully endorse this action. Ophcrack is one of the best tools to use to get your system back from rogue passwords. It is also one of hte few that work on almost any system. Be it Windows Linux or OS X.

Carnage had a good idea to try the hidden Admin account. But if that doesnt work by all means use Ophcrack.

Cheers,
Mak

To boot to Safe Mode, when you are booting your laptop you will see a screen at the very beginning that says "Hit F8 for boot options" or "Hit delete for Setup" Whatever it says for "Boot Options" hit that key. I think normally it is F8, but I could be mistaken.

I booted to SAFE MODE and the options include.

Repair your computer

Safe Mode
Safe Mode w/ networking
Safe Mode w/ command prompt

Enable boot logging
Enable low-resolution video
Last known good configuration (advanced)
Directory services restore mode
Debugging mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable driver signature enforcement

Start windows normally

I'm going to try some of the other methods too.

Hello,

Yes that is the screen you should see. Select the option for Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking so you can still access the internet. From there you should be presented with 2 user accounts. 1 being your and the other called Administrator.

Log into the Administrator one and change your account details. You can also just unlock that Administrator account and use that if you want. But your profile (Desktop wallpaper, icons and such) will not be the same. But you can import your profile over if you wish.

Cheers,
Mak

That just defeats the point of passwords doesn't it? So silly. How can you make sure no one can find your passwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom