Stuck at "Windows is starting up"

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolshmo

Solid State Member
I've got a user with a laptop that loads up into windows, but locks up just before the login screen with the message "Windows is starting up".

I loaded the windows CD, went to the recovery console and did a fixboot. It loaded up just fine right after that, but if I restarted, it would get stuck again. I did a full chkdsk after that, fixmbr, and more fixboots. The same result every time: Boots ok, but on a restart, it's broken again. I've done a system restore to no avail as well.

I checked the event log, and right before he was having this problem, I noticed there were some serious errors. Basically every program that was open had shut down with an error.

I'm pretty stumped with this one. I'd like to avoid formatting the drive, but it might boil down to that anyhow.

Anyone have any ideas?

Check to see what programs are starting up when windows boots up. Then disable those applications. See if it is the OS getting stuck or a program. I guess starting in safemode would do the same thing. IF you can restart in safe mode or by disabling any software startups you find, then the problem is within a program, not the OS.

My suggestion would to try this first. Then try system restore (which you've done). Can you restore to a point earlier then when this event log said all of these errors occured?

Hello,

If every app is starting up then crashing with errors. A Restore did nothing. There are not options left. Format and reinstall is your last option.

Cheers,
Mak

Check to see what programs are starting up when windows boots up. Then disable those applications. See if it is the OS getting stuck or a program. I guess starting in safemode would do the same thing. IF you can restart in safe mode or by disabling any software startups you find, then the problem is within a program, not the OS.

My suggestion would to try this first. Then try system restore (which you've done). Can you restore to a point earlier then when this event log said all of these errors occured?

Well, I did a recovery install, and it somehow completely disabled the network connections. Ended up with a format :\

It was a strange problem, indeed. Can't wait until he comes back tomorrow and says it's doing the same thing. lol.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom