Stuck at Windows is checking for updates Windows 7 32-bit

krazyq

krazy Techie
Hi guys,

So this is work related.
We have 12 computer in a lab that are not on our Domain.
They're probably 5+ years old, it's mainly used for training so ppl use VMs on it.
Every month we do updates so Windows, adobe flash, reader and java.

In the settings it was set at Install updates automatically.
I decided to change them all to Never check for updates, and did the same for flash, reader and java. I thought I was doing these machines a favor.

Well when the next month came for updates....things fell apart.
The machines were stuck on checking for updates for a whole week!
I restarted the Windows update service and set it back to automatic and still nothing.
I found a Microsoft fix it that ran some repairs and it found 3 errors on most of the machines and fixed them all.
1 said registry fixes, other said updates taking too long, can't remember the third.
I rebooted and tried again and no luck.
Fortunately we got 2 computers working however the other 10 are still searching for updates, it is now week 3.

I've searched forums and can't figure out wth is going on, how can me changing that settings screw things up?
My co worker had been doing this for years with no problems, then I come along and screw everything up, I feel like crap.
She has decided if nothing happens by tomorrow we will be re imaging them all....ugh

Any ideas of what could've gone wrong?

I'd say just reimage them all anyway.

Why aren't they on the domain? IMO all machines should be - at least on a separate VLAN to keep them separated if they're training systems or something. If they're just running VM's....why not just switch to VDI's / zero-clients and just have rows of monitors/mice/keyboards hooked up to the zero clients and have all the training systems use VDI's? Easier to manage, I'd think.

So our company acquired another company and they mainly use these machines for training so they install a bunch of random stuff so we don't want to manage them or be responsible for them if they screw it up...so I think this is one of the reasons it's off the domain.
I've heard of VDI but don't really know anything about it so I'll look into it.

I'm gonna feel terrible if we have to reimage them, but I guess I told her that I will do it since I screwed it up.
I will bring up your suggestions and see what they have to say about it.

btw
I ended up figuring it out.
Started reimaging 2 machines and figured it out before I kept going.

Download windows readiness tool
I had to stop the windows update service.
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
Delete everything in the datastore and download folder

Run the tool right after starting the service again.
Once it installed the tool I searched for updates and it worked almost right away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom