Strangest PC malfunction I've ever had...

eviscia

Beta member
I woke up this morning, eager to kill some dragons and whatnot, so I booted up my PC. When it loaded my login, I noticed my icons weren't loading properly. I promptly restarted and logged back in. This time, many of my icons were gone, my Fences (I use a Desktop organizational program called Fences) were gone, and all my user settings and documents were gone. It's more a pain than an issue, since it's all backed up on my external HDD.

Before you say virus, my computer is not hooked up to the Internet or any network. I live in the middle of the woods and the only thing I can get is HughesNet (barf). I haven't installed any new programs, however, I did download a ton of new Skyrim mod files on my phone and transferred them to my computer. I installed them all without issues and it ran fine. I also scanned all the new .esp files and there are no viruses. I only download mods that are widely used from the Nexus anyway.

Other than that, there have been no changes to my computer.

I ran AVG anyway, and it found nothing, but after some digging, I found something very odd. I'm guessing a registry issue (?). If I open Music from the libraries or start menu, it's empty. However, if I go to C:\Users\Eviscia\My Music, all my music is there. After checking the properties for both the empty folder and full folder, I noticed the Library link that goes to the empty folder points to C:\Users\Default and C:\Users\Public. If I click on Eviscia in the left pane, under Desktop, and open Music, it points to C:\Users\TEMP. Using this method, My Pictures and My Documents go back to that Default folder. So, I ran a search for a particular file, and found it, under C:\Users\Eviscia\My Music, right where it should be. In fact, everything is where it should be. All my saved game files, the new mods, even my Recycle Bin is intact.

So, my question is, what would make my folder shortcuts change the location that they point to, delete many of my desktop icons, but leave all the icons pointing to the right programs?

I have turned it off and back on again and I have run a virus scan on both my phone and computer. No results. My son is the only other person who uses my computer, but he only used it to play games, and he knows better than to touch anything else. I don't want to run a restore to fix this, I'd rather do it manually, unless you have any other suggestions.

If it helps, here's my specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel i5-2400 3.10 GHz
10gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2gb DDR5

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom