Strange XP boot/login issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuriousJorj

Solid State Member
Strange XP boot/login issue...

The setup:
It's my mom's system. Win XP, SP 3, all updates and patches (more or less)

The Situation:
After being away for a month, I noticed there was a supposed spyware program popping up a warning and minimizing to the task bar/system icons. I assume it was actually spyware itself. It didn't show up in programs, or add/remove programs.

I updated my already installed software (AVG, Sypbot, Adaware) and ran them all, to remove this spyware, masqarading as spyware protection.

Spybot found a bunch, but couldn't delete all. Asked to delete upon restart. I said "OK" though have had trouble in the past with that option.

AVG found 1 virus, removed it.

AdAware found nothing critical.

I restarted the system.

The Problem:

The boot up will get to show the desktop wallpaper... The icons, task bar, etc. never load yet... It hangs there...

And then goes back to the "Wecome" screen with the Administrator square icon. If you click on the icon, it says "Loading Personal Preferences..."
...goes to load up and only shows the desktop wallpaper again for maybe a second, then goes back to the Welcome/Administrator screen, saying "Saving Your Settings."

That's where it stays, stuck in that loop. Welcome page w/ Administrator icon, click it, "Loading Personal Preferences," almost immediately back to same page while saying "Saving Your Settings"

Attempted Solutions:

I've tried F8 > Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ Network, and Last Good Config. They all still go to this endless loop of the Welcome page with Administrator icon - 'Loading Preferences,' back to 'Saving Settings'

I also did the double Ctrl+Alt+Del to login, but same thing happens (the "loop" it's stuck in, back to Welcome/Admin user page)

[[BTW: On all my systems, I never have a login, never put in a password or create users during install, so when I did this Ctrl+Alt+Del login, I just clicked "OK" w/o typing in the password, as I don't remember there ever being one!]]

I haven't tried to Repair the Installation yet with my WinXP disk... My mom got this system off Ebay years ago, and I'm pretty sure the OS is not legit, as I can't download all the updates from MS. So I'm not sure if my XP disk will work on it to repair it.

Note my problem though; I can't even get "into" the desktop to do anything; it is more or less 'stuck' on that Welcome screen with the Administrator login icon. If I try and logon, it just almost immediately goes back to the same screen as described above.

Restore point or Windows Repair. Then try the guide.

sound like a fresh format is in order after you use a bart pe disc to backup your files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom