Strange WMP connection problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Strange WMP connection problem

Hi.
Every time WMP is on, it seems to knock my DSL connection off, not to my ISP but like a line down. This then reconnects and sometimes I have to reconnect to my ISP if it doesn't connect fast enough. If WMP is still on, a minute or two later it happens again.
It may have started after I ran XPY, I can't be sure but I did use XPY to alter WMP settings around the same time this started.
Anyone have any idea what might cause this or how to fix it? Reinstating WMP from XPY didn't help, nor reinstaling WMP10 from an .exe (which didn't install parts because of logo certificates). I use a Connexant Access Runner internal modem on XP SP1.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

what did you change?

Old 05-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, I've changed a lot of things in the last few days. About a week ago my last XP installation became irretrevable so I decided to do an installation on a 4Gig drive, add my favorite apps and image the entire disk as a backup. It seems like there's a conflict now between some part of WMP and my modem and I can't really tell at what stage it first appeared but my best guess is that XPY settings caused it.

The image shows the settings available for WMP and I think I selected almost all of them. There's also a setting there to uninstall WMP there so a complete reinstall of it will be the next step.

Edit: Something called a loopback device has also installed. I don't remember it from previous instalations and it doesn't seem to be a virus or rootkit so I've left it there. Thought it may be worth mentioning also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xpy.jpg (57.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

i suggest uninstall xpy as you dont need it at all. Then see if the problems still occur
Old 05-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's a standalone app so didn't need uninstalling but I reversed all the changes it made to Windows and the problem seems to have gone.

If I use it again I'll be more careful what I disable, cheers for the help.
Closed Thread